"Mawled, Shavuot and Petacost" - Jerusalem Women's Interfaith Encounter on May 7th

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24 8:49 AM
      Our regular WIE monthly meeting took place as usually at the Swedish Theological Institute the 7th of May 2007

      Our regular WIE monthly meeting took place as usually at the Swedish Theological Institute the 7th of May 2007.  Our topics included the prophet Mohamed's birthday celebration ( Mawled), the Jewish Holiday of Shavuot and the Christian Holiday of Pentecost.

      Zeinab presented the main events in Prophet Mohamed's life and the different customs honoring his birthday, including festive celebrations. Processions are held, homes or mosques are decorated, charity and food is distributed, stories about the life of Muhammad are narrated, and poems praising his wisdom are recited.

      Esther introduced to us Shavuot's importance and meaning in Judaism, when the Jewish people received the Torah at Mount Sinai - including the Ten Commandments - and presented the Book of Ruth, the story of the  widowed Moabite  young woman who followed her mother-in-law instead of returning to her country of origin, eventually becoming the ancestor of King David. The tradition of eating dairy products due to the newly introduced laws of Kashrut was also explained.

      Lucy explained us the Holiday of Pentecost, its importance to Christianity and its direct relation with Easter.  Historically and symbolically related to Shavuot, celebrated the fiftieth day after Easter , it commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles and other followers of  Jesus as described in the Book of Acts, Chapter 2.

      Our members were delighted to discuss the different customs and traditions associated with these holidays and partake of a light meal during the break.

      We were honored to welcome Swedish guests to our meeting, two visitors of the Theological Institute who expressed interest in the different holidays and shared our common prayer for peace and for a better world.

      Best regards and Love from Evelyne and Saheer

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Chair

        Ms. Rafiqa Othman, Vice-Chair

        Rabbi Dr. Dov Maimon, Vice-Chair

        Mr. Adnan Trabsha, Vice-Chair

        Mr. Dotan Arad

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Ms. Nada Abu Zaidan

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate on-line at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com