IEA Reut-Sadaqa on "Mercy", 21st of November 2005

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2005
      Eleven of us met at the new restaurant imported from Tel Aviv called Lechem Erez – (the Hebrew word for bread is Lechem) inste

      Sixteen people met at the Swedish Theological Institute in Jerusalem last rainy Monday, November 21st at 5:30 pm . There were three new people in our group, Mr. and Mrs. Cohls from the Interfaith Council in Seattle , Washington , as well as Nehama from Sweden , who is a student in inter-religious dialogue.

      The subject of this month’s meeting was Mercy in our religion.  Fadwa Kirrish, our Moslem member, opened up the session and illustrated that the word “merciful” is mentioned 114 times in the Koran. “Be merciful to others and God will be merciful to you.”  Mercy is given priority over knowledge.  The Prophet Mohammad rejected vengeance and extended mercy to plants and animals.  Kees Rodenberg, a Christian pastor member of our group, quoted from the New Testament – “be merciful as your Father is merciful” He asked – Is mercy a feeling, deeds, pity, faithfulness?  If you are merciful you are no more slaves of sin, but servants of God.  He brought up the story in Luke of the Prodigal Son and brought in a large photo by Rembrandt of the Prodigal Son and an interesting discussion ensued around this, as we all tried to analyze this beautiful painting.  Leah Lublin gave the Jewish presentation and spoke about the 13 Attributes of Mercy, which was as a result of the sin of the Golden Calf – mentioned in Exodus – where Moses beseeched God to forgive the Jews.  This prayer is said during the Jewish month of Elul, where we ask God for His mercy before the New Year begins.

      We had our break afterwards with tasty humous, pita and veggies from Abu Ghosh, courtesy of Rafiqa, and our session resumed continuing a shared discussion of what we had heard this evening.

      Hadassah read a poem from her book– called "Dreaming Beyond War", and then Nathanel suggested a theme for our next meeting on Monday, December 19th to be Light, in honor of the Jewish holiday of Chanukah and the Christian holiday of Christmas.

      (Report prepared by Leah Lublin, Jewish coordinator of IEA-Reut Sadaqa, in consultation with Karmela, our Christian coordinator and  Rafiqa Othman, our Moslem coordinator)

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Mr. Shlomo Alon, Chair

        Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Vice-Chair

        Sheikh Muhammad Kiwan, Vice-Chair

        Sheikh Ali Birani

        Rabbi Dov Maimon

        Deacon Eng. Jirias Mansour

        Ms. Rafiqa Othman

        Sheikh Tawfiq Salama

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate on-line at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      This mail was sent from interfaith-encounter.org