REPORT: "Shavuot" - session of the Jerusalem YIE on 24th of May 2004

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004
      On Monday 24th of May 2004, the group met to discuss the differences
      between Catholic and Protestant theology. Unfortunately Maher, who was
      going to give the presentation, was unable to attend. Instead we talked
      about upcoming Jewish festival, Shavout. Besides the importance of
      cheesecake, Shavout, similar to so many other Jewish festivals, has the
      dual identity of being both an agricultural festival and a spiritual
      religious festival. Shavout is the celebration of the wheat harvest while
      also (historically later) being the celebration of the "Receiving of the
      Torah."

      This was also a chance to discuss the holiness of the temple mount as
      opposed to Mt. Sinai and this led us to a discussion about the Temple
      Mount at present, especially the Friday prayer at the Al-Aqsa mosque.
      Salah shared a number of his experiences of the prayers especially on
      Ramadan, and also gave us a detailed illustration of the grounds: where
      men and women sit, people who come late, and even the police. We also
      discovered that the night of the Receiving of the Koran, Laylato- lqadr,
      and Tikun lel Shavout (night of the Receiving of the Torah - Asabeea' in
      Arabic) are celebrated in very similar ways. In Shavuot as in lylato-lqadr
      Moslems and Jews stay up all night long prying and reading from the holy
      books, and we noticed the similarity in the personal feeling of the
      praying person as getting tired or getting mixed up.
      We wondered about is there any such a night in which the people of the
      Christian faith too stay up all night to praise God and if in this night
      something special happened like revelation or so.

      Chanael Rosen & Salah Aladdien

      (*) We are grateful to the Rissho Kose-kai Fund for Peace for their help
      to the activities of the group!

      P.O.Box 3814, Jerusalem 91037, Israel
      Phone: +972-2-6510520
      Fax: +972-2-6510557
      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:
      Sr. Karmela Farrugia, Chair
      Sheikh Muhammad Kiwan, Vice-Chair
      Mr. Shlomo Alon, Vice-chair
      Sheikh Ali Birani
      Rabbi Dov Maimon
      Ms. Ibtisam Mahamid
      Deacon Eng. Jirias Mansour
      Sheikh Tawfiq Salama

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Director
      E-mail: msyuda@...

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR
      MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH
      UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate on-line at: http://www.interfaith-encounter.org/donations.htm
      ***

      Contributions made from the U.S., Switzerland and the U.K. are tax
      deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank
      message to:
      * In Israel (gets also invitations):
      iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      * Abroad (gets reports only): iea-reports-subscribe@yahoogroups.com