Ecology - Reut-Sadaqa Interfaith Encounter group on Spetember 3rd

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2012
      We met again at the Swedish Theological Institute which gave us a

      We met again at the Swedish Theological Institute which gave us a special feeling of homecoming after their restoration but also renewal with new furniture and artworks.

      The topic was Attitudes to Ecology in different religions.

      Islam places a special emphasis on preserving and not wasting resources especially water, food etc. Modern scholars have taken Quranic texts to develop vital ecological Islamic approach to contemporary issues.

      Both Islam and Judaism require protection of trees, even in times of war. A discussion developed about protection of animals and eating meat and Judaism clearly has idea of paradise as an ideal eco-system of vegetarian gatherers but afterwards Adam was given mastery/stewardship over the animals, which reflects the tension between economic exploitation of the environment versus a guardian of natural world.
      St. Francis' beautiful poem, Canticle for the Sun, was read which uses the metaphor of brother sun, sister bird in a poetic and non-hierarchical way and gives a sisterly/brotherly vision of how we may relate to creatures and nature.

      We decided that in the next meeting on Oct 15, we will discuss the story of Cain and Abel in the different traditions.
      May we all be inscribed for a good year of health and sisterly/brotherly love.

      Reported: Henry Abramovitch

      The Interfaith Encounter Association

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

        Ms. Yael Gidanyan

        Mr. Morad Muna

        Mr. Moshe Jacobs

        Mr. Imad Abu Hassan

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://interfaithencounter.wordpress.com/donate/

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the Interfaith Encounter Association or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.

      Groups listed from north to south:

      ·        Ma'alot

      ·        Acre

      ·        Karmiel-Majd el-Krum

      ·        Restaurant

      ·        M'gharSawa Rabina

      ·        M'gharShibolot

      ·        M'ghar – Bridging

      ·        M'ghar – Lana

      ·        M'ghar – Green Light

      ·        Galilee Women's Interfaith Encounter (WIE)

      ·        Jordan Valley College (YIE)

      ·        Haifa WIE

      ·        Haifa University Youth Interfaith Encounter (YIE)

      ·        Carmel City

      ·        Wadi Ara WIE

      ·        Living Together in Wadi Ara

      ·        Netania-Qalansawa

      ·        Non-Violent Communication

      ·        Tel Aviv University YIE

      ·        Petach TikvaKfar Kasem

      ·        Tel Aviv-Jaffa

      ·        A/Nahnu – Mt. Scopus YIE

      ·        Language Exchange I

      ·        Language Exchange II

      ·        Abu Dis And Maaleh Adumim

      ·        Prayer focused

      ·        IEA Reut-Sadaqa

      ·        Study and Dialogue

      ·        Jerusalem WIE

      ·        Jerusalem YIE

      ·        Jewish-Christian study of the Gospel of Mathew

      ·        Ein Karem – Health Equality for all People in Israel

      ·        Jerusalem Arabic Speaking group

      ·        Bibliodrama

      ·        The Future – Mothers and Daughters

      ·        Interfaith Visits

      ·        Hebrew U.-Bethlehem U. YIE

      ·        Teens YIE

      ·        Women's Empowerment

      ·        Gush Etzion

      ·        Siach Yeshiva – Hebron Students YIE

      ·        Circle of Light and Hope

      ·        Midwives

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron Religious Leaders

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron YIE

      ·        Jerusalem-Yata YIE

      ·        South of Hebron YIE

      ·        Eilat