Who is God to you? - Circle of Light and Hope Interfaith Encounter group on 18.9.11

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2011
      Encounter on Sept

      Encounter on Sept. 18th, Topic: Who is God to you?

      Attending were Assad, Awad, Taleb, Ora, Bob, Sarah, Naomi

      In the Moslem presentation Taleb emphasized the similarity of Islam and Judaism in the sense that both are strictly monotheistic, and do not allow God to be conceived of as having corporeality or duality. There are 7 virtues of God in Islam, but these are not characteristics of God in His essence but rather of the way in which He relates to the world. It is also forbidden in Islam to consider God as being male or female. It was commented on this that in Judaism there are different views - the philosophical tradition within Judaism absolutely agrees that God cannot be described as male or female, however, in mystical/kabbalistic modes of thinking, it is believed that everything which exists in our world is a reflection in some sense of God, and therefore it can be said that God has both male and female characteristics, though in a way which is different from our human/corporeal ones.

      The latter half of the discussion then turned towards how we can do something a little more spiritual at our meetings, and the idea was suggested to share with each other some spiritual songs from each tradition, teaching them to each other and delving into their meanings together.

      Reported: Bob Carroll

      P.O.Box  3814 , Jerusalem 91037 , Israel

      Phone: +972-2-6510520

      Fax:     +972-2-6510557

      Website: www.interfaith-encounter.org

      Board:

        Ms. Nadia Tutunji-Nuseibeh (Chair)

        Ms. Yael Gidanian

        Rabbi Bob Carroll

        Ms. Saheer Siam

        Ms. Seta Ohanessian

        Ms. Randa Zreik-Sabag

      Dr. Yehuda Stolov, Executive Director

      E-mail: yehuda@...

      Mr. Salah Alladin, Assistant Director

      PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THE INTERFAITH ENCOUNTER ASSOCIATION. SUPPORT ONE OR MORE OF OUR PROGRAMS AND JOIN US AS A MEMBER IN WORKING FOR INTERFAITH UNDERSTANDING AND PEACE.

      NEW: Donate securely on-line (tax deductible in the US ) at: http://interfaithencounter.wordpress.com/donate/

      Contributions made from the U.S. , Switzerland and the U.K. are tax deductible.

      You and others are welcome to join our e-mailing lists by sending a blank message to:

      • In Israel (gets also invitations):

              iea-announcements-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Please note that the reports we send out do not necessarily represent the views of the Interfaith Encounter Association or even of the people who wrote them. The reports represent the views of the people who attended an encounter and their primary purpose is to give you a glimpse of what happened in the encounter.

      Groups listed from north to south:

      ·        Acre

      ·        Karmiel-Majd el-Krum

      ·        M'gharSawa Rabina

      ·        M'gharShibolot

      ·        M'ghar – Bridging

      ·        M'ghar – Lana

      ·        M'ghar – Green Light

      ·        Galilee Women's Interfaith Encounter (WIE)

      ·        Haifa WIE

      ·        Haifa University Youth Interfaith Encounter (YIE)

      ·        Carmel City

      ·        Wadi Ara WIE

      ·        Living Together in Wadi Ara

      ·        Netania-Qalansawa

      ·        Tel Aviv University YIE

      ·        Petach TikvaKfar Kasem

      ·        Tel Aviv-Jaffa

      ·        A/Nahnu – Mt. Scopus YIE

      ·        Abu Dis And Maaleh Adumim

      ·        Prayer focused

      ·        IEA Reut-Sadaqa

      ·        Study and Dialogue

      ·        Jerusalem WIE

      ·        Jerusalem YIE

      ·        Jewish-Christian study of the Gospel of Mathew

      ·        Ein Karem – Health Equality for all People in Israel

      ·        Jerusalem Arabic Speaking group

      ·        The Future – Mothers and Daughters

      ·        Hebrew U.-Bethlehem U. YIE

      ·        Gush Etzion

      ·        Circle of Light and Hope

      ·        Midwives

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron Religious Leaders

      ·        Jerusalem-Hebron YIE

      ·        Jerusalem-Yata YIE

      ·        Eilat