North American Ido Society

  • David Mann
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      Recently I have announced the re-opening of the Nord Amerikan Ido-
      Societo over in Idolisto, but I haven't gotten much of any response
      at all. I would just like to repeat the annoucment on this list for
      those English speakers who don't or can't read Idolisto.

      Our site is located at http://www.idolinguo.org/ , so please come
      check us out. Thank you!

      Cordially,
      David Mann
    • Paul O. BARTLETT
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
        On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, David Mann wrote:

        > [...]
        > Our site is located at http://www.idolinguo.org/ , so please come
        > check us out. Thank you!

        "Ya cain't get thar from here." I tried two different web
        browsers, under two different comnputer hookups (without having to
        type in the address by hand), and I could not connect to this site.

        --
        Paul Bartlett
        bartlett "at" smart "dot" net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
          > "Ya cain't get thar from here." I tried two different web
          > browsers, under two different comnputer hookups (without having to
          > type in the address by hand), and I could not connect to this site.

          I don't know why you always have computer troubles with my sites,
          but you can try the full address and see whether that works:

          http://www.davidmann.us/ido/society/

          Kordiale,
          David MANN
        • Michael Talbot-Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
            Dear David,

            Ye 2004-07-01 19:24 -0000, David Mann skribis:

            > Recently I have announced the re-opening of the Nord Amerikan Ido-
            > Societo over in Idolisto, but I haven't gotten much of any response
            > at all. I would just like to repeat the annoucment on this list for
            > those English speakers who don't or can't read Idolisto.

            Allow me, too, to congratulate you. I think that you need to exercise
            patience, however, and do a bit of selling. I wonder how many members
            you have to date?

            The Society gives people already "sold" somewhere to go, but I don't
            think its existence as such will generate a large following.

            > Our site is located at http://www.idolinguo.org/ , so please come
            > check us out. Thank you!

            Well done. That is a very good name / URL for an Ido site.

            I am slightly dubious about the flags. I understand that that is your
            way of symbolizing North America, by which you mean the United States
            and Canada. But the nationalistic emphasis that seems to be conveyed
            by the flags does not (or so it seems to me) sit very well with the
            international perspective of an I.L.

            If I understand rightly, North America is a continent, not two
            national states. On a reasonable view the most northerly point at
            which the continent can end is at the Isthmus of Tehuantepec in
            Southern Mexico. And, of course, if you are not trying to push the
            boundary of the continent northwards it will be in the Isthmus of
            Panama.

            May I suggest that you adopt a more comprehensive definition. It
            doesn't matter if Mexicans thereby become able to join both North and
            Central American Ido societies. I would aim to include, rather than
            to exclude. The flags, and the map, are certainly a demonstrative
            exclusion of Mexicans.

            If your real intention is to create the Ido Society of the United
            States and Canada, if you are aiming at a community with similar
            culture, history, institutions and law, that is okay. There is
            nothing wrong with it. But I wouldn't adopt an ambiguous name and
            then interpret it so as to arbitrarily exclude a region.

            Amikale...

            --
            Michael TALBOT-WILSON
          • Michael Talbot-Wilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2004
              Ye 2004-07-01 20:32 -0400, Paul O. BARTLETT skribis:

              > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, David Mann wrote:
              >
              > > [...]
              > > Our site is located at http://www.idolinguo.org/ , so please come
              > > check us out. Thank you!
              >
              > "Ya cain't get thar from here." I tried two different web
              > browsers, under two different comnputer hookups (without having to
              > type in the address by hand), and I could not connect to this site.

              I was able to get it with Mozilla, but it was slow. Teething
              troubles, no doubt. The map image will slow it down, especially if
              the resolution is too high. But I typed it in. Hm... using Lynx
              direct from the message it comes up like this:
              Nord Amerikan
              Ido-Societo
              FRAME: MYTOPFRAME

              Nord Amerikan Ido-Societo

              Click here to enter http://www.davidmann.us/ido/society

              | Domain Name Registration and Domain Name Forwarding by
              mydomain.com
              - Register your domain name

              That is quite different from what I saw with Mozilla.

              --
              Michael TALBOT-WILSON