Beginners in Ido (2)

  • richard stevenson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      BEGINNERS IN IDO (2)
      (By Richard Stevenson).

      (a) Word stress answers (from last week):
      amAR; aMIta; espeREbla; FOlio; boAo; POrtuo;
      akaDEmio; LInguo; euROpa; aLOo; Olu.

      (b) ARTICLES:.
      (i) The definite article is "la" (the).
      An indefinite article (a, an) is not written, but "some" or "any" may
      be understood. So "lakto" = "milk" or "some milk" or "any milk".
      (ii) If the word has a plural meaning such as a family or a group
      then we may show this with a different article "le". Thus "le Borgia"
      (the Borgias), "le X" (the X's).
      If we used "la Borgia" or "la X" we would be referring to only one
      member of the family or group.

      NOUNS (names):
      (i) These end in "-o" when singular and in "i" when plural. But the
      names of countries follow international usage by ending in "a", or
      sometimes "-lando": Thus Brazilia, Nederlando.
      (ii) Some differences from English practice exist:
      (1) "La" is used with all members of a species, thus:
      "La uceli flugas e la fishi natas" (birds fly and fish swim)
      (2) Capital letters are not used for days of the week or for months,
      thus: "La duesma lundio en septembro"
      (The second Monday in September).
      (iii) People and animal nouns have no sex or gender, but if required
      we may add "-in" for female or "ul" for male.
      Thus "bovo" (any cattle ), "bovino" (cow), "bovulo" bull
      puero (child), "puerino" (girl), "puerulo" (boy).
      For the inhabitants of a country we use the suffix "-an",
      thus "Chiliano" (a Chilian).
      (iv) Some nouns have only one gender. Thus:
      "viro" (man), "muliero" (woman), "patro" (father),
      "matro" (mother). For both sexes together we use the plural with "ge-
      " in front: "gesiori" (ladies and gentlemen), "gefrati" (brothers
      and sisters).
      (v) Proper and geographical names are usually spelt as in their
      original language instead of being laboriously converted to Ido
      spelling. Thus "Cambridge", not
      "Kembridjo". Most modern atlases use the names familar to the
      inhabitants, like Moskva (Moscow),
      Den Haag (the Hague) or Beijing (Peking).