Re: [Re: [angla] just a few questions]

  • Arthur Pena
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2003
      Thanks James,
      just two more clarifications (for now at least--will ask for more as I
      continue to study...is that OK for this list?):

      for "naturala", where does the emphasis go when using the form without the
      final "a": naturAL, or naTUral? i.e. do elided forms (is that the right
      term?)take the accent on the same syllable as their non-elided forms?

      and re "prefacar"... one of the dictionaries says the noun "prefaco" means
      "preface". That seems like taking a non-logical use of "pre" and "fac-" from
      the national languages, which would help Europeans, but not Asians, ka ne?

      "James Chandler" <idojc@...> wrote:

      > Kar Arthur
      >
      > dIi
      > naturALa
      > vaporNAvo
      > kristalKLAra
      >
      > predicar = predict
      > prefacar = pre-make, make or do beforehand
      >
      > Kordiale, James Chandler
      > idojc@...
      > http://www.geocities.com/idojc - IALs index
      > http://www.geocities.com/idojc/yindex.html - Ido index
      >
      > "He salutes all parts of the sky and the earth where it is bright. He thinks

      > the color of the amethysts of Aguelmous will be dark if it has rained in the

      > valley of Zerekten. The eye wants to sleep, he says, but the head is no
      > mattress." - Paul Bowles, A Hundred Camels in the Courtyard

      > On the move? Get Hotmail on your mobile phone
      http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile

    • James Chandler
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Kar Arthur

        Elided forms should be stressed on the same syllable as the unelided form:
        naturAL eg. la naturAL ambiento.

        Prefaco is actually ambiguous because it could be pre/fac/o or prefac/o. A
        similar case is rom/an/o (Roman) and roman/o (novel). A small number of
        such cases is going to be unavoidable in any _a posteriori_ language.

        Kordiale, James Chandler
        idojc@...

        "The French language is like the stiff French garden of Louis XIV, while the
        English language is like an English park, in which you are allowed to walk
        everywhere without having to fear rigourous regulations." - Otto Jespersen,
        Growth and Structure of English

        http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
      • Michael Talbot-Wilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          Ye 2003-12-02 13:23 -0000, James Chandler skribis:

          > Kar Arthur
          >
          > Elided forms should be stressed on the same syllable as the unelided form:
          > naturAL eg. la naturAL ambiento.
          >
          > Prefaco is actually ambiguous because it could be pre/fac/o or prefac/o. A
          > similar case is rom/an/o (Roman) and roman/o (novel). A small number of
          > such cases is going to be unavoidable in any _a posteriori_ language.

          The problem that arose with the examples Arthur gave was that they would
          result in consecutive stressed syllables. In your first reply you
          omitted the stress in the first part of a compound word. Is this right?

          --
          Michael TALBOT-WILSON