Introductory list of 500 Ido roots

  • mikevalenza@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2000
      Kara amiki,

      Before I discovered that I liked Ido much better, I had begun
      learning Esperanto a few months ago, when I ran across a web site for
      a Stanford University Esperanto class which contained a list of 500
      or so Esperanto roots that a beginning student might wan to learn
      (this list, for those who are interested, is at
      http://tio.net/~trio/stanford/nivel1.html). I found this list very
      useful, so I felt inspired put together a similar list for Ido, as a
      tool for myself and possibly others who are learning Ido.

      My list differs from the Esperanto one in several ways. For one
      thing, in accordance with the fact that Ido, unlike Esperanto,
      recognizes roots as being noun, verbal, or adjective, I have included
      the actual grammatical ending for each root. Also, because Esperanto
      uses the mal- prefix for several of the roots in that list, I
      included the equivalent Ido antonym as a separate root in my list (for
      example, whereas the Stanford Esperanto list has dekstr-, I have two
      Ido roots: dekstr-a and sinistr-a). I also added the basic numbers,
      some colors, and various other basic words that I thought might be
      useful and which rounded out the list to 500 words.

      Under no circumstances do I claim that my 500-word list represents
      the 500 MOST useful or common Esperanto words. It is simply intended
      to be a learning tool to help one become acquainted with several
      common and useful roots. Hopefully, anyone learning the language
      would not stop at 500 roots anyway! I may also put together a
      secondary listof 500 more words, if I have time.

      It is possible that I made some spelling mistakes when putting this
      together (I am learning the language myself, after all), but
      hopefully it is, for the most part, correct.

      This list is located at: http://www.geocities.com/soul_patch/ido1.html

      Kordiale,
      Mike