[angla] some English-language links

  • James Chandler
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 1999
      Kar amiki

      Here are links to some English-language webpages on Ido and related subjects
      to get you started. You may perhaps know about some of these pages already,
      and if so thank you for your patience:

      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/8009/idolinguo/Dyer.htm
      The Problem of an International Auxiliary Language and its Solution in Ido,
      by L. H. Dyer. This book was written in the 1920s by an American Idist who
      was involved right from the very first years of the language. An excellent
      introduction to Ido and to the problem it was designed to solve.

      http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames/manual.html
      Complete Manual of the International Language Ido, by Louis de Beaufront.
      First ten lessons of this book available, plus a clickable index.

      http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames/idoang.html
      4000 word Ido-English dictionary. Can be used as an English-Ido dictionary
      by clicking on "vortaro.html" and using the Edit->Find function on your
      browser.

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/chefaj.html
      The Main Advantages of Ido. A detailed comparison of Ido with Esperanto.

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/Hist.html
      History of our language (Ido), by Otto Jespersen. First-hand account of the
      early years of Ido by the eminent Danish linguist.

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/ILS.html
      International Language and Science. By five professors, this is one of the
      most important documents in the whole history of planned languages.

      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/PAL.html
      A Planned Auxiliary Language, selected sections. By Henry Jacob, excellent
      account of the work up to WW2 on planned languages. Sections on Ido
      available, also a large bibliography:
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037/PALbib.html

      http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/8009/Angla-listo.html
      Large collection of English-language links, by Martin Lavallee.

      http://members.aol.com/idolinguo
      Official site of the ILSGB, with lots of English-language pages on the Ido
      language and movement.

      http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
      The international language Ido - reformed Esperanto. Large collection of
      Ido material, in English, Ido and Esperanto.

      If you have any questions about web information on Ido, please do not
      hesitate to send them to this list or to me (idojc@...).

      Kordiale,

      James Chandler
      idojc@...
      http://yi.com/home/ChandlerJames
      http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5037

    • mkhovila
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
        Ca esas mea unesma frazo en Ido. Me esas de Seattle, Washington,
        USA. Me esas joyoza esar hike.

        Me havas sugesto. Prenu la sube linki en la "links" area de ca
        website (me ne konas la Ido vorto por "website").

        Se vi deziras korekti mea erori, bona!

        Mark Hovila

        --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com, "James Chandler" <idojc@h...>

      • gershwin27
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2003
          Kara Sro. Hovila,

          Bonveno al Idistaro! Esas bona havar nova Idisto Usano. Forsan vu
          prizus adjuntar la Nord Amerikana Ido-Societo, quan on komencis nur
          recente. Ni situesas a http://www.davidmann.us/idosociety/. Vu ja
          savas Esperanto pro ke ula erori quin tu facis esas Esperantatra, ka
          ne?

          > Prenu la sube linki en la "links" area de ca
          > website (me ne konas la Ido vorto por "website").

          "Prenez la suba ligili en la "ligil-areo" di ca ret-situo."

          lig.ar = to link; lig.il.o = link, linker
          ret.o = web, and situ.o = site, location

          > Se vi deziras korekti mea erori, bona!

          "Se vi deziras korektigar mea erori, bona!"

          korekt.a = correct; koreket.ig.ar = to correct

          Bonveno itere! Me esperas ke vu prizus la listo.

          Amikale,
          David Mann
          Orange Park, FL, Usa
        • mkhovila
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
            David,

            I'll write this one in English since it's late and I don't want to
            spend two hours writing it. (I only learned Ido today, after all!)
            Thanks, David, for the corrections, and you're right, I know some
            Esperanto. I took a class here in Seattle around 1986 from Sid
            Culbert, a great guy who recently passed away at age 90 something.
            I haven't kept up with the language, but recently I started
            searching for Esperanto on the web and came across some pages
            arguing against Esperanto and in favor of Ido. Sid actually told us
            about Ido. In fact, he was very knowledgeable about all the IALs,
            but he chose Esperanto because it was so much more widely spoken
            than the others. For he and his wife Ruth it was probably a great
            choice, because they traveled a great deal and made friends all over
            the world in the Esperanto community. He and Ruth actually spoke
            only Esperanto at home their whole married life, something like 50
            plus years, I think.

            Anyway, the arguments in favor of Ido make perfect sense to me. I
            remember one woman in particular who I was trying to get interested
            in the language who was immediately turned off by what she called
            the sexist use of -o and -ino. It was kind of hard to argue with
            her about that!

            I'll go ahead and join the NAIS. Eventually I suppose somebody else
            from Seattle will join. One suggestion for people who want to get
            something going in their local community is to find out if there are
            local Esperanto groups and let them know what you are doing. Many
            of the local Esperanto groups have Yahoo mailing lists you can join
            and make an announcement on. I'm sure some of them would be quite
            interested.

            Mark Hovila
            Seattle, WA
          • Paul O. BARTLETT
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
              On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, mkhovila wrote:

              > [trim for space] One suggestion for people who want to get
              > something going in their local community is to find out if there are
              > local Esperanto groups and let them know what you are doing. Many
              > of the local Esperanto groups have Yahoo mailing lists you can join
              > and make an announcement on. I'm sure some of them would be quite
              > interested.

              However, please be aware that posting in favor of Ido in
              Esperanto groups may be considered by some to be a hostile act.

              --
              Paul Bartlett
              bartlett at smart.net
              PGP key info in message headers
            • Mark Hovila
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 12, 2003
                On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, mkhovila wrote:

                > [trim for space] One suggestion for people who want to get
                > something going in their local community is to find out if there are
                > local Esperanto groups and let them know what you are doing. Many
                > of the local Esperanto groups have Yahoo mailing lists you can join
                > and make an announcement on. I'm sure some of them would be quite
                > interested.

                However, please be aware that posting in favor of Ido in
                Esperanto groups may be considered by some to be a hostile act.
                ******* It probably needs to be done somewhat delicately. "Hey, Esperanto is really cool, and so is Ido. Check out this web page about Ido and if it looks interesting to you, come to my Ido group."

                Mark

              • Michael Talbot-Wilson
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Ye 2003-12-11 22:18 -0000, gershwin27 skribis:

                  > korekt.a = correct; koreket.ig.ar = to correct

                  Just to post to an Ido list, since I've seen no messages lately, my
                  impression is that "korekt.a" signifies proper, and "just.a" signifies
                  right. So to correct an error, make it right, is "just.ig.ar".

                  Someone with a dictionary handy might... er... correct me if I'm
                  wrong.

                  Amikale...

                  --
                  Michael TALBOT-WILSON