Eural? Why not Ido?

  • Devon Vance <marconus47@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
      Hi,

      What's all this silliness about the EU making a new language called
      Eural? That's stupid, why not use an existing Auxillary language like
      Ido or Esperanto (I think Ido is best since it's the easiest to type
      and write).

      Someone needs to slap those guys in the back of the head and tell
      them to use existing international languages, rather than pull
      something out of thin air, wasting money on brain farts.

      My two cents.

      Sincerely,

      Devon

      P.S., Is hello "hello", "halo", or non-existant in Ido?
    • Xipirho
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 18, 2003
        well if its better than ido, the i support it. ido has many flaws,
        especially spelling. can you direct me to any info on this?

        On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 08:03 pm, Devon Vance
        <marconus47@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > What's all this silliness about the EU making a new language called
        > Eural? That's stupid, why not use an existing Auxillary language like
        > Ido or Esperanto (I think Ido is best since it's the easiest to type
        > and write).
        >
        > Someone needs to slap those guys in the back of the head and tell
        > them to use existing international languages, rather than pull
        > something out of thin air, wasting money on brain farts.
        >
        > My two cents.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        >
        > Devon
        >
        > P.S., Is hello "hello", "halo", or non-existant in Ido?
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Liv long and prospx, Khjpjrho (Xipirho)/Rxwlj (Roly).
      • M.L.Wilson
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
          I am also interested in more information on this
          language, or Eural as it is called.

          --- Xipirho <xipirho@...> wrote:
          > well if its better than ido, the i support it. ido
          > has many flaws,
          > especially spelling. can you direct me to any info
          > on this?
          >

          > On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 08:03 pm, Devon
          > Vance
          > <marconus47@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > What's all this silliness about the EU making a
          > new language called
          > > Eural? That's stupid, why not use an existing
          > Auxillary language like
          > > Ido or Esperanto (I think Ido is best since it's
          > the easiest to type
          > > and write).
          > >
          > > Someone needs to slap those guys in the back of
          > the head and tell
          > > them to use existing international languages,
          > rather than pull
          > > something out of thin air, wasting money on brain
          > farts.
          > >
          > > My two cents.
          > >
          > > Sincerely,
          > >
          > > Devon
          > >
          > > P.S., Is hello "hello", "halo", or non-existant in
          > Ido?
          > >

          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          > >

          > Liv long and prospx, Khjpjrho (Xipirho)/Rxwlj
          > (Roly).

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • Michael Talbot-Wilson
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
            At 2003-02-18 22:39 -0000, Xipirho wrote:

            > well if its better than ido, the i support it. ido has many flaws,
            > especially spelling. can you direct me to any info on this?

            Can you explain more about the many flaws in Ido, especially the flaws
            in respect of spelling? I haven't heard these complaints before.

            Prima facie my guess is that it offends some tastes that are personal
            to yourself, that you don't really have objective flaws in mind. Do
            you think that this could be close to the truth?

            Regards,
            Michael Talbot-Wilson
          • James Chandler
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 21, 2003
              Kara Devon

              Eural was not a proposal by the EU, but by the British Conservative MP Peter
              Viggers. He suggested the idea as a way of cutting the burgeoning
              translation bill in the EU, soon to enlarge to 25 countries and nearly as
              many languages. The idea is unlikely to be accepted by the EU, which as an
              institution seems much more interested in economic and financial matters
              than in things like its citizens being able to talk to each other.

              Perhaps the idists need to make Mr Viggers aware of Ido, as a fully worked
              out solution to language problems in Europe.

              Kordiale, James Chandler
              idojc@...

              "One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being." -
              May Sarton

              >From: "Devon Vance <marconus47@...>" <marconus47@...>
              >To: ido-angla@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [angla] Eural? Why not Ido?
              >Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 20:03:53 -0000
              >
              >Hi,
              >
              > What's all this silliness about the EU making a new language called
              >Eural? That's stupid, why not use an existing Auxillary language like
              >Ido or Esperanto (I think Ido is best since it's the easiest to type
              >and write).
              >
              > Someone needs to slap those guys in the back of the head and tell
              >them to use existing international languages, rather than pull
              >something out of thin air, wasting money on brain farts.
              >
              >My two cents.
              >
              >Sincerely,
              >
              >Devon
              >
              >P.S., Is hello "hello", "halo", or non-existant in Ido?

              Worried what your kids see online? Protect them better with MSN 8
              http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=186&DI=1059
            • Richard Howard
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 21, 2003
                I am pleased at last to have found out where the idea of Eural arose and
                would like to thank James Chandler for his message to the Group. I wonder,
                though, whether Ido is really ready to assume the role of an official
                language for the EU or for any of its many institutions.
                How would Idists like to see their language used? As the sole working
                language? As a bridge language with translations and interpreting all done
                via Ido? What work has been done on the legal vocabulary of Ido? Is there
                enough consensus among Idists to agree the terms necessary to talk about the
                Common Agricultural Policy?
                Those in favour of a non-native language for international communication
                often argue that the use of English or French or whatever puts the
                non-native speaker at a disadvantage. How does the use of any single
                language overcome this? Is it simply because all speakers have had to input
                a similar amount of time and energy to learn it?
                Best wishes,
                Richard Howard
              • Devon Vance <marconus47@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 21, 2003
                  Bonadio,

                  --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Howard"
                  <richard.howard9@n...> wrote:
                  > I am pleased at last to have found out where the idea of Eural
                  arose and
                  > would like to thank James Chandler for his message to the
                  Group. I wonder,
                  > though, whether Ido is really ready to assume the role of an
                  official
                  > language for the EU or for any of its many institutions.
                  > How would Idists like to see their language used? As the sole
                  working
                  > language? As a bridge language with translations and
                  interpreting all done via Ido?

                  Ido's main goal, like most ILs, is to be a neutral complimentary
                  language that bridges culture gaps without overpowering native
                  languages. Because of Ido's simplicity of grammar, it is very
                  easy to pick up just by reading or listening to it, because it
                  modifies its vocabulary from words common in one form or
                  another with every major Indo-European language.

                  What work has been done on the legal vocabulary of Ido? Is
                  there
                  > enough consensus among Idists to agree the terms
                  necessary to talk about the
                  > Common Agricultural Policy?

                  Ido is not a language that came about yesterday, it's been
                  around for at least 80 years. Yes there is consensus, it was
                  reached 60 years, the bulk of Ido's terms comes from the already
                  well established Esperanto, Ido is the simplification of
                  Esperanto.

                  > Those in favour of a non-native language for international
                  communication
                  > often argue that the use of English or French or whatever puts
                  the
                  > non-native speaker at a disadvantage. How does the use of
                  any single
                  > language overcome this? Is it simply because all speakers
                  have had to input
                  > a similar amount of time and energy to learn it?

                  Again, Ido and other international languages are complimentary
                  languages meant for secondary usage. Think of them as
                  emergency languages that can be learned in a fraction of the
                  time it takes to learn a non-native language.

                  > Best wishes,
                  > Richard Howard

                  Saludo,

                  Devon
                • Michael Talbot-Wilson
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 21, 2003
                    Dear James,

                    Ye 2003-02-21 16:27 -0000, James Chandler skribis:

                    > Perhaps the idists need to make Mr Viggers aware of Ido, as a fully worked
                    > out solution to language problems in Europe.

                    It is at least arguable that, for Europe, Interlingua would be a
                    better solution. There is no doubt that for an association that was
                    not confined culturally to the successor states of the Roman Empire,
                    Ido would be a far better solution.

                    Perhaps a balanced, objective approach should be made to Mr Viggers,
                    in which the relative advantages and disadvantages are fairly stated.

                    Some time ago I posted the beginnings (at least) of such a comparison
                    to one of the Europe-oriented newsgroups, either soc.culture.europe or
                    talk.politics.european-union. Ido wins because it is fully defined,
                    more regular, and I think more complete. The Interlingua verb system
                    is clumsy, and the residue of grammatical gender (Car amigos/amigas)
                    will be problematic. It is a serious shortcoming that Interlingua is
                    stuck with a final vowell pair committed to something that is totally
                    obsolete and not needed or wanted. Interlingua may be more easily
                    readable at sight (without study) by well-educated Western Europeans,
                    but they will tend to get stuck when they try to use it
                    conversationally. Ido is a World Language, something that Interlingua
                    cannot be because of its naturalism, but this, arguably, is not a
                    problem if it is to be only for the EU. I think that, on a balanced
                    comparison, Ido wins hands down, but such a comparison is necessary
                    when there is another obvious claimant. In my post to the newsgroup I
                    compared the verb systems in detail, after my Interlingua-ignorant
                    fashion. I don't seem now to have a copy, though.

                    Regards,
                    Michael Talbot-Wilson
                  • Xipirho
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 22, 2003
                      what about glosa? or maybe even folkspraak for germanic-speaking europe?

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 22, 2003
                        Ye 2003-02-22 12:15 -0000, Xipirho skribis:

                        > what about glosa? or maybe even folkspraak for germanic-speaking europe?

                        The principle of word-selection in Ido is that the word must be known
                        in the major European languages, giving weight to the number of
                        speakers of each. It turns out, because the strong Romance heritage
                        of the English language tips the balance, that Ido often chooses a
                        word known in French, Italian and Spanish but not in German or
                        Russian. Somewhat more rarely, when there is not a single root common
                        to the modern Romance languages and English, Ido adopts a Germanic or
                        Slavic root. The principle is of recognition by the greatest number
                        of Europeans.

                        Europe is not Germanic-speaking, notwithstanding that some Europeans
                        are Germanic-speaking. There is no prospect whatever that the EU
                        would adopt a Germanic artificial language. Such a thing will never
                        be more than a fantasy of German racial nationalists. They are not
                        interested in recognition by the greatest number of Europeans.

                        What I suggested (your top-posting has defeated orderly quotation -
                        please learn how to write an e-mail message) was that a reasonable
                        candidate, Interlingua, might be given reasonable consideration. This
                        is an Ido mailing list. Bizarre and irrelevant proposals regarding
                        various other languages, languages that are very far from being
                        reasonable candidates in the context of the earlier message, are out
                        of place, nothwithstanding that you may have certain enthusiasms.

                        -- Michael Talbot-Wilson
                      • Xipirho
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 22, 2003
                          ok ok. there's no need to be downright rude mate. if i like posting at
                          the top then i am quite entitled to. there is no email ettiket. i agree
                          that folkspraak would be stupid for the EU to adopt and proto indo
                          european was more like romace anyway. i was just saying that it works
                          for germanic speaking europe, although i have to say that the whole
                          fokkspraak idea is a bit crazy. if there was more discussion on Ido then
                          i wouldn't post about anythinge else, but this is a DISCUSSION group in
                          which things are supposed to be DISCUSSED! ido does work, but its very
                          biased.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                            Ye 2003-02-22 17:25 -0000, Xipirho skribis:

                            > ok ok. there's no need to be downright rude mate. if i like posting at

                            You didn't see the first version, mate.

                            > the top then i am quite entitled to. there is no email ettiket. i agree

                            You are wrong. A few people tried your stunt among the experienced
                            Internet users in comp.mail.sendmail a while back. They don't try it
                            any more. Go there and learn the right way.

                            In your latest reply you have appended my entire earlier message. It
                            is three times as long as your reply. Appending it all served no
                            purpose, did it? So why did you do it? That wasted resources that
                            you had not paid for. If my message had been a thousand lines long
                            you would have appended it all, out of pure stupidity.

                            I repeat, learn how to do e-mail properly.

                            > ... i agree
                            > that folkspraak would be stupid for the EU to adopt and proto indo
                            > european was more like romace anyway. i was just saying that it works

                            The discussion related to a language for the EU, and you brought up
                            folkspraak. You were just saying nothing that needed saying in the
                            context.

                            The above questions are rhetorical. There is no need to reply.

                            --Michael Talbot-Wilson
                          • Richard Howard
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                              In a previous posting I asked how Idists thought that Ido would function in
                              a body like the EU but this point remained unanswered. This is a question
                              that really interests me. Would Ido serve as a bridge with Idists
                              translating/interpreting from their native language into Ido and then other
                              Idists using that to provide the versions in all the other languages of the
                              EU member states?
                              I believe that interpreting is done at present in a similar way with
                              interpreters often having to rely on a second version of a speech before
                              turning it into their native language. I suppose that someone must have
                              worked out mathematically how many theoretical combinations there will be
                              when the new members join in 2004 CE?

                              Richard Howard
                            • James Chandler
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                                Kara Richard

                                I would see Ido as being fit to be used as one working language of the EU,
                                not just as a bridge language for translation. Ido has a fully worked out
                                vocabulary of legal and other terms. The only areas where it lacks some
                                words is in science and technology which move so fast and for which new
                                terms are constantly required. Having said that, there may be a few words
                                which are lacking, for example a few years ago we were asked to translate
                                the word "subsidiarity" (as in the Principle of Subsidiarity, ie. decisions
                                being taken at the most local level possible). But on the whole the problem
                                is not insurmountable.

                                I do not share MTW's view that Interlingua would better serve as an IL for
                                Europe. Ido is the best because it is the easiest and most expressive.
                                There is no justification in a planned language for 3 different verb
                                conjugations, or the orthographic complications of I-a. The original BBC
                                News article on Eural is still accessible here:

                                http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/2412795.stm

                                (dont be put off by the image of John Prescott at the top!).

                                MSN Messenger - fast, easy and FREE! http://messenger.msn.co.uk
                              • Devon Vance <marconus47@yahoo.com>
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                                  <richard.howard9@n...> wrote:
                                  > In a previous posting I asked how Idists thought that Ido would
                                  function in
                                  > a body like the EU but this point remained unanswered. This is a
                                  question
                                  > that really interests me.

                                  If you had read my second post, you would have gotten some kind of
                                  answer.

                                  Thanks James for the good post on Ido.

                                  Saludo,

                                  Devon
                                • Devon Vance <marconus47@yahoo.com>
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                                      | --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Howard"
                                      | <richard.howard9@n...> wrote:
                                      | > In a previous posting I asked how Idists thought that Ido would
                                      | function in
                                      | > a body like the EU but this point remained unanswered. This is a
                                      | question
                                      | > that really interests me.

                                      | If you had read my second post, you would have gotten some kind of
                                      | answer.
                                      | Devon

                                      Yes, sorry ... I read the posting but misunderstood the mis-spelt
                                      "complimentary" as in "complimentary language".

                                      Richard Howard
                                    • Michael Talbot-Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 23, 2003
                                        Dear James,

                                        Ye 2003-02-23 16:55 -0000, James Chandler skribis:

                                        > I do not share MTW's view that Interlingua would better serve as an IL for
                                        > Europe. Ido is the best because it is the easiest and most expressive.
                                        > There is no justification in a planned language for 3 different verb
                                        > conjugations, or the orthographic complications of I-a. The original BBC

                                        You misunderstand, or perhaps I was unclear. I don't hold that view.
                                        I was trying say that to show why Ido would be a better choice, a
                                        balanced presentation is needed. It would be a mistake to ignore a
                                        serious contender which is a naturalistic European language, one that
                                        some (Romance and well-educated English-speaking) Western Europeans
                                        will, at first sight, think is easier. In an earlier generation,
                                        thousands abandoned Ido for another such language, Occidental. Where
                                        is Occidental now? I am subscribed to its mailing list, and receive
                                        on average four messages a year from it. So, why did thousands of
                                        people dump Ido for a language destined for failure?

                                        Because it will look easier to read at first sight to part of Europe,
                                        people will be inclined to jump into Interlingua, will ignore a
                                        fully-defined language and chase an approach that we know has failed.

                                        You here mention the existence of several conjugations, and I pointed
                                        out other problems such as grammatical gender. I am only saying that
                                        an objective consideration of the reasonable candidates will advance
                                        Ido better than an enthusiastic and one-sided attempt to "sell" Ido.
                                        Be prepared to let Ido stand or fall on its objective merits.

                                        Regards,
                                        Michael Talbot-Wilson
                                      • Xipirho
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 24, 2003
                                          ok. i'll be downright rude. fuck off.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 25, 2003
                                            I dont think this is an appropriate place for such acrimonious disputes.
                                            This is a low-volume list mainly for people to enquire about Ido in English.
                                            I dont mind discussions like the one we had recently about the EU, but
                                            please keep the debate polite and free of bad language of this sort. Please
                                            remember that I reserve the right to remove people from this list if their
                                            posts are offensive to others. Roly and MTW, if you wish to continue this
                                            dispute please take it off-list to private email.

                                            Thanks for your cooperation.

                                            Kordiale, James Chandler
                                            idojc@...

                                            "One must think like a hero to behave like a merely decent human being." -
                                            May Sarton

                                            >From: Xipirho <xipirho@...>
                                            >To: ido-angla@yahoogroups.com
                                            >Subject: Re: [angla] Eural? Why not Ido?