Skip to search.

Ido for beginners

  • rich.steven@xtra.co.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1 8:13 PM
      Beginners in Ido (21).
      Some controversial topics and personal suggestions:
      In Ido we are fortunate that we are not shackled by a fundamental
      document that lays down a grammar or even vocabulary that must remain
      untouched for ever.
      All languages change with society but of course we should avoid
      frivolous alterations and be thankful that once our grammar was
      established around 1914 it has stood the test of time with very few
      changes. Yet vocabulary has to change:
      (1) Computers. These electronic machines and their accessories make
      the suffix "-il-" increasingly inappropriate. Its origin dates back
      to hand-tool times so I suggest a new suffix "-or-" which would
      accord with existing words like: computer, scanner, printer, monitor,
      router, word processor, plotter, accumulator, server, calculator,
      compiler etc. In other languages we have F: "-eur" and H: "-oro"
      although in Ido the suffix "-er-" is already in use. We could have:
      komputoro, skanoro, imprimoro, monitoro,voyoro, vort-procedoro,
      trasoro, akumulatoro, servoro, kalkuloro, kompiloro etc. For time-
      honoured tools we could still keep "segilo" (saw), "borilo"
      (drill), "tranchilo" (cutter), "limilo" (file) and words lke "raboto"
      (plane) and "martelo" (hammer).
      - R. A. Stevenson.