Re: [angla] Angla

  • Jerry Muelver
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
      --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com, "Winnie Spencer"
      <contemplativeheart@...> wrote:

      > Jerry, thank you for your encouragement! I must be patient and let
      it come
      > to me.

      Your patience will be rewarded. It takes time to learn a language
      because of the way the brain is constructed. Language-handling and
      related vocabulary memory are separate functions from academic
      memorization and logic processing. You have to analyze and memorize
      first with the working part of the brain, then transfer bit by bit
      from the working part of your brain to the language part. Fortunately,
      the more you study, the easier it becomes for you to learn and
      transfer. The brain gets used to the process, and gradually develops
      little shortcuts and connections and helping tools to make it easier
      to get information into the brain's automatic language memory system.

      I am beginning the development of a set of Ido language courses that
      make better use of this model, in line with current language-learning
      research, than the existing courses. With the right tools, and with
      eager learners like you (and me!), we'll have a billion Idists within
      the next thirty years.

      ==== Jerry
    • Winnie Spencer
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
        Jerry, pacez!

        Your work sounds interesting, and helpful. What sort of exercises are you
        proposing? Are there tools to learning languages? As it is now, me skribas
        e skribas en Ido, over and over. I am working throught Ido For All, la nova
        versiono.

        Translation takes some time, and I'm getting a better sense of the words.

        Kun afeciono,
        Winnie

        On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:42 AM, Jerry Muelver <jerry@...> wrote:

        > --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com <ido-angla%40yahoogroups.com>, "Winnie
        > Spencer"
        > <contemplativeheart@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jerry, thank you for your encouragement! I must be patient and let
        > it come
        > > to me.
        > >

        > Your patience will be rewarded. It takes time to learn a language
        > because of the way the brain is constructed. Language-handling and
        > related vocabulary memory are separate functions from academic
        > memorization and logic processing. You have to analyze and memorize
        > first with the working part of the brain, then transfer bit by bit
        > from the working part of your brain to the language part. Fortunately,
        > the more you study, the easier it becomes for you to learn and
        > transfer. The brain gets used to the process, and gradually develops
        > little shortcuts and connections and helping tools to make it easier
        > to get information into the brain's automatic language memory system.
        >
        > I am beginning the development of a set of Ido language courses that
        > make better use of this model, in line with current language-learning
        > research, than the existing courses. With the right tools, and with
        > eager learners like you (and me!), we'll have a billion Idists within
        > the next thirty years.
        >
        > ==== Jerry

      • Jerry Muelver
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
          <contemplativeheart@...> wrote:

          > Jerry, pacez!
          >
          > Your work sounds interesting, and helpful. What sort of exercises
          are you
          > proposing? Are there tools to learning languages? As it is now, me
          skribas
          > e skribas en Ido, over and over. I am working throught Ido For All,
          la nova
          > versiono.
          >
          > Translation takes some time, and I'm getting a better sense of the
          words.

          You're doing the right thing -- write in Ido, and read your writing
          out loud. Also, go to Ido-listo and search for "Podkasto". Copy the
          text from the message, and download the matching audio file. Perfect
          practice!

          I am proposing short daily lessons, a set of three -- breakfast, lunch
          and dinner. "Breakfast" reviews the previous lesson, adds a little
          vocabulary, and provides reading exercises with the new vocabulary.
          "Lunch" introduces a grammar concept or two, adds a few more words,
          and provides reading exercises to "burn in" the new grammar and
          vocabulary. "Dinner" adds a few more vocabulary words, and gives more
          exercises using those words on the grammer from "Lunch". The idea is
          that it is better to have three short learning sessions each day, than
          to have one long one using the same total time.

          The course will be in ebook and printed format. I am also thinking of
          4x5 inch study cards to be carried around for review.

          I envision a one-month "beginner" English-Ido course (100 lessons), a
          three-month extension English-Ido "student" course (300 lessons), and
          a six-month Ido-only "master" course. The "master" covers literature,
          history, and culture in Ido, requires a written project (for instance,
          an original work in Ido, or a translation of literature from one's
          native language to Ido to add to the Ido library) and an examination
          for certification as a Master of Ido.

          Obviously, I have a bit of work ahead of me....

          ==== Jerry
        • Shawn KOVAC
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 4, 2008
            Winnie,

            Regarding your question about examples of Ido suffixes, i had the very
            same issue, except i found a good resource before it bothered me
            enough to seek help. (I also found these Yahoo forums much later in my
            Ido quest.) I refer you to the same resource i found, it is the Ido
            For All course itself. I don't only read IFA in order. I jump around.
            And there are 2 lessons in particular that i refer to you. Check out the
            Appendices (Lessons 31 and later). The suffixes are listed out in
            Lesson 33, which is the best resource i've found for Ido suffixes,
            complete with very good examples! Prefixes are lesson #32.

            I also ask you: you say you are using the "new" IFA course. From what
            URL? I guess maybe i've only seen the old course, or maybe the one i
            am using is the new one and i don't know it.

            Shalom!
            -Shawn <><
          • Winnie Spencer
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
              Shawn, pacez!

              The Ido For All course I'm using is:

              http://idomondo.org/nova-skolo.zip NOT www.geocities.jp/hotchfeld, which is
              the old one, as far as I know.

              I did find the apendices after I wrote the email regarding the suffixes.
              They are most helpful. Thank you for your follow up email to me!

              Kun afeciono,
              Winnie

              On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Shawn KOVAC <shawn.yahoo@...> wrote:

              > Winnie,
              >
              > Regarding your question about examples of Ido suffixes, i had the very
              > same issue, except i found a good resource before it bothered me
              > enough to seek help. (I also found these Yahoo forums much later in my
              > Ido quest.) I refer you to the same resource i found, it is the Ido
              > For All course itself. I don't only read IFA in order. I jump around.
              > And there are 2 lessons in particular that i refer to you. Check out the
              > Appendices (Lessons 31 and later). The suffixes are listed out in
              > Lesson 33, which is the best resource i've found for Ido suffixes,
              > complete with very good examples! Prefixes are lesson #32.
              >
              > I also ask you: you say you are using the "new" IFA course. From what
              > URL? I guess maybe i've only seen the old course, or maybe the one i
              > am using is the new one and i don't know it.
              >
              > Shalom!
              > -Shawn <><

            • Ibn Ishaq
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                Pacez! i am a newbie here(i learned esperanto for about two years and then i fell in love with ido and i am trying to learn it but there are very few sites and sources that teach it, contrary to esperanto!)

                anyways the link is a zip.. do you know what i would need to open it? when i try, it just goes to notepad and posts what looks like jibberish! i am assuming there is something i need to download to view it, eh?

                thanks,
                malik

                ________________________________

                On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Shawn KOVAC <shawn.yahoo@ sorren.com> wrote:

                > Winnie,
                >
                > Regarding your question about examples of Ido suffixes, i had the very
                > same issue, except i found a good resource before it bothered me
                > enough to seek help. (I also found these Yahoo forums much later in my
                > Ido quest.) I refer you to the same resource i found, it is the Ido
                > For All course itself. I don't only read IFA in order. I jump around.
                > And there are 2 lessons in particular that i refer to you. Check out the
                > Appendices (Lessons 31 and later). The suffixes are listed out in
                > Lesson 33, which is the best resource i've found for Ido suffixes,
                > complete with very good examples! Prefixes are lesson #32.
                >
                > I also ask you: you say you are using the "new" IFA course. From what
                > URL? I guess maybe i've only seen the old course, or maybe the one i
                > am using is the new one and i don't know it.
                >
                > Shalom!
                > -Shawn <><

              • Winnie Spencer
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
                  Pacez Malik!

                  You need to download a "unzipper". You can get them free on the net...try:

                  http://www.7-zip.org/

                  http://www.webmasterfree.com/ZipCentral_d7723.html

                  I thought Winzip was free but now I don't know.
                  I actually dowmloaded the document on to my Google docs, so I'll send you an
                  invite so you can view it if you don't want to download the zip opener on
                  your computer.

                  Kun afeciono,
                  Winnie
                  On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Ibn Ishaq <ibnishaq@...> wrote:

                  > Pacez! i am a newbie here(i learned esperanto for about two years and
                  > then i fell in love with ido and i am trying to learn it but there are very
                  > few sites and sources that teach it, contrary to esperanto!)
                  >
                  > anyways the link is a zip.. do you know what i would need to open it? when
                  > i try, it just goes to notepad and posts what looks like jibberish! i am
                  > assuming there is something i need to download to view it, eh?
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  > malik
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Ibn Ishaq
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                    hey, thanks a lot for the links! i downloaded the zip opener from the second site and i was easily able to access the document!

                    i also want to know if you know of any links that have audio of ido? i am trying to work on my pronunciation (especially two i's, like "forumii", i don't know if the double i's make any different pronunciation) but it is very hard to find podcasts in ido!

                    thanks,

                    malik

                    ________________________________

                    On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Ibn Ishaq <ibnishaq@yahoo. com> wrote:

                    > Pacez! i am a newbie here(i learned esperanto for about two years and
                    > then i fell in love with ido and i am trying to learn it but there are very
                    > few sites and sources that teach it, contrary to esperanto!)
                    >
                    > anyways the link is a zip.. do you know what i would need to open it? when
                    > i try, it just goes to notepad and posts what looks like jibberish! i am
                    > assuming there is something i need to download to view it, eh?
                    >
                    > thanks,
                    > malik
                    >
                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • Kiran Annavarapu
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 6, 2008
                      Saluto samideano malik,
                      Paco che vu. I would prefer 'paco che vu', which is also a very good
                      translation of 'assalam alaikum', rather than 'pacez'. Welcome to
                      Ido-angla!

                      Regarding your question about audio files, I point you to
                      http://www.ipernity.com/home/idosonora where you can hear spoken Ido.
                      The speaker is Mexican and at least in the older podcasts spoke
                      rapidly, but it can give you an idea of how spoken Ido sounds.

                      Saluti kordiala,
                      Kiran

                      --- In ido-angla@yahoogroups.com, Ibn Ishaq <ibnishaq@...> wrote:

                      > hey, thanks a lot for the links! i downloaded the zip opener from
                      the second site and i was easily able to access the document!

                      > i also want to know if you know of any links that have audio of ido?
                      i am trying to work on my pronunciation (especially two i's, like
                      "forumii", i don't know if the double i's make any different
                      pronunciation) but it is very hard to find podcasts in ido!

                      > thanks,
                      >

                      > malik
                    • Winnie Spencer
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 14, 2008
                        Peace, Malik!

                        I can't help you here on that one. Glad you could open the zip folder!

                        Love,
                        Winnie