Beginner's question

  • seti_seeker
    Message 1 of 2 , May 19, 2008
      Hello all! New member here. Learning Ido, the improved Esperanto, after
      giving up the old, not so good Esperanto.

      My question concerns the accentuation of words. Having studied several
      pronunciation tutorials with some contradictory examples, I need
      clarification, please!

      The rule for accent says to stress the penultimate syllable without
      defining what "syllable" means. Most of the pronunciation guides mark
      only the vowel to be stressed, not a syllable, and because a vowel is
      the important part of a syllable, this led me to re-state the rules as
      follows:

      * Infinitive verbs are stressed on the final vowel: drinkAr, studiIr.
      * If 'i' or 'u' is the second to last vowel, not the first vowel and
      immediately precedes the last vowel, the third to last vowel is
      stressed: stUdias, famIlio.
      * Otherwise, the second to last vowel is stressed: dIi, drInkas.
      Is this correct? When stressing the vowel, the consonants come along for
      the ride without need of rules for defining the elusive syllable.

      To help reinforce my learning, I am re-writing each lesson of Ido for
      All for the Web with corrections and perhaps better examples. This
      forces me to verify the content of the original lesson and Lesson 00
      brought up this question. Yes, I know there are others updating Ido for
      All for the Web, but doing it myself sticks the content to my memory!

      Thanks for your help!

      GC

    • Kiran Annavarapu
      Message 2 of 2 , May 20, 2008
        Saluto GC,
        Welcome to Idia and Ido-angla! About your classification regarding the
        accents in Ido, I must say I don't feel very qualified to dispute it
        much. However, I just read about accentization in the Kompleta
        Gramatiko Detaloza, and the only thing I can say is while the concept
        of syllable may be somewhat illusive to someone like me who is not a
        linguist, it does make sense. If categorizing the rule for accents the
        way you do helps you, then by all means, use it. I do want to mention
        one example: familio, in which the accent should fall on the second
        syllable "mi". Is it not better to break the word into three syllables
        such as "fa", "mi", and "lio"? If as you say the accent should fall on
        the third to last vowel in such cases, there is some danger that the
        reader may assume to break the word as "fam", "i", and "lio". ;-) In
        any case, keep learning, remember to have fun, and let us know how it
        goes.

        Ido vivez! Vivez Ido!

        Kun Kordiala saluti,
        Kiran Annavarapu