E-learning content development time

  • Vijay Tiwary
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 24, 2004
      Dear IDIndians,

      I believe the biggest challenge in the field of e-learning is to reduce the development time and would like your inputs on the following:

      1. The average development time respectively for one hour of basic, intermediate, and advanced e-learning content

      2. The quickest way to develop quality e-learning content

      Yours sincerely,

      Vijay Tiwary

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • simhadri_k
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
        Hi Tiwary,

        1. Based on my research, the average development time for one-hour of
        basic, intermediate, and advanced e-learning modules takes around
        200, 350, and 500 person hours respectively.

        2. The quickest way to develop quality e-learning content is to use
        rapid course development tools like macromedia breeze and harbingers
        elicitus.

        Regards

        Simhadri

        --- In idindia@yahoogroups.com, Vijay Tiwary <entity_unknown_0@y...>
        wrote:
        > Dear IDIndians,
        >
        > I believe the biggest challenge in the field of e-learning is to
        reduce the development time and would like your inputs on the
        following:

        > 1. The average development time respectively for one hour of basic,
        intermediate, and advanced e-learning content

        > 2. The quickest way to develop quality e-learning content
        >
        > Yours sincerely,
        >
        > Vijay Tiwary

      • Safi Athar
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004

          Hi,

          Can anyone tell me:

          • How one arrives at basic, intermediate or advanced levels of e-learning?
          • How can one arrive at a time frame independent of the complexity and duration of the content?
          • What is a module?
          • How do we arrive at something called a module or a topic when developing e-learning content?

          Warm regards,

          Syed Safi Athar

          >From: "simhadri_k" <simhadri_k@...>
          >To: idindia@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [idindia] Re: E-learning content development time
          >Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 10:11:16 -0000
          >
          >Hi Tiwary,
          >
          >1. Based on my research, the average development time for one-hour of
          >basic, intermediate, and advanced e-learning modules takes around
          >200, 350, and 500 person hours respectively.
          >
          >2. The quickest way to develop quality e-learning content is to use
          >rapid course development tools like macromedia breeze and harbingers
          >elicitus.
          >
          >Regards
          >
          >Simhadri
          >

          >--- In idindia@yahoogroups.com, Vijay Tiwary <entity_unknown_0@y...>
          >wrote:
          > > Dear IDIndians,
          > >
          > > I believe the biggest challenge in the field of e-learning is to
          >reduce the development time and would like your inputs on the
          >following:
          > >
          > > 1. The average development time respectively for one hour of basic,
          >intermediate, and advanced e-learning content
          > >
          > > 2. The quickest way to develop quality e-learning content
          > >
          > > Yours sincerely,
          > >
          > > Vijay Tiwary

          > > Win 1 of 4,000 free domain names from Yahoo! Enter now.

          Sell what you don�t Need. We help you Ship it out. Click Here!
        • simhadri_k
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2004
            Hi,

            1. The categorization of basic, intermediate, and advanced e-learning
            modules is based on the following three factors:

            a. instructional design levels
            b. interactivity levels, and
            c. production complexities

            2. I don't think we can arrive at the time frame independent of
            complexity and the duration of the course content. Any ideas?

            3. The duration of a module or RLO (Reusable learning object)as it is
            called, is purely left to the discretion of the instructional
            designer. It could be as small as 2 minutes and as big as 2 hrs..

            4. I believe that a module or RLO should be one complete idea..

            Thanks and regards

            Simhadri

          • Safi Athar
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004

              Oh My my!

              Reusable Learning objects (RLO) and an e-learning module same??

              warm regards,

              Syed Safi Athar

              >From: "simhadri_k" <simhadri_k@...>
              >To: idindia@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [idindia] Re: E-learning content development time
              >Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 04:15:03 -0000
              >
              >Hi,
              >
              >1. The categorization of basic, intermediate, and advanced e-learning
              >modules is based on the following three factors:
              >
              >           a. instructional design levels
              >           b. interactivity levels, and
              >           c. production complexities
              >
              >2. I don't think we can arrive at the time frame independent of
              >complexity and the duration of the course content. Any ideas?
              >
              >3. The duration of a module or RLO (Reusable learning object)as it is
              >called, is purely left to the discretion of the instructional
              >designer. It could be as small as 2 minutes and as big as 2 hrs..
              >
              >4. I believe that a module or RLO should be one complete idea..
              >
              >Thanks and regards
              >
              >Simhadri
              >

              >--- In idindia@yahoogroups.com, "Safi Athar" <atharss@h...> wrote:

              NRIs ! Free online bill payments in India.
            • Asad Halim
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 6, 2004
                Hello all,

                I think 'module' is such a vague term that it could mean just about
                anything. Does the same go for RLO? What is a Reusable Learning Object
                anyway? Heard it bandied around so much but could never really understand
                what exactly it stood for. Would be grateful if someone enlightened me. :)

                Cheers,

                Asad

                >From: "Safi Athar" <atharss@...>
                >To: idindia@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE: [idindia] Re: E-learning content development time
                >Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:38:22 +0530

                NRIs !
                http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/june/icicinri_tol_tl.htm
                Free online bill payments in India.
              • SivaRamaKrishnan
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Hi all

                  Check out this excellent article from LC....lends insight into the
                  different methods to calculate eLearning development time....

                  www.learningcircuits.org/2003/jul2003/kapp.htm

                  (copy-paste link)

                  Regards
                  Siva

                  --- In idindia@yahoogroups.com, "Asad Halim" <asad_h@h...> wrote:
                  > Hello all,
                  >
                  > I think 'module' is such a vague term that it could mean just about
                  > anything. Does the same go for RLO? What is a Reusable Learning
                  Object
                  > anyway? Heard it bandied around so much but could never really
                  understand
                  > what exactly it stood for. Would be grateful if someone enlightened
                  me. :)

                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Asad
                  >

                  > >From: "Safi Athar" <atharss@h...>
                  > >To: idindia@yahoogroups.com
                  > >Subject: RE: [idindia] Re: E-learning content development time
                  > >Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 14:38:22 +0530

                  > NRIs !

                  http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/june/icicinri_tol_tl
                  .htm
                  > Free online bill payments in India.
                • sanjay Mukherjee
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 7, 2004
                    A module can be considered as an RLO.

                    An RLO is essentially a learning object that stands as
                    an independent unit of content which can be reused in
                    different instructional environments/contexts.

                    Thus, if a module is an independent unit and can be
                    studied by a learner on its own without bothering
                    about what came before and what will come after, yes
                    it is an RLO.

                    The RLO is an extension of the Learning Object concept
                    which has its roots in object-oriented programming.
                    The idea is to break down content into manageable bits
                    or chunks that don't neccessarily tie down the learner
                    to the comp for hours on end.

                    ciao

                    sanjay

                    http://mail.yahoo.com