Line in Almost Famous

  • Eliot
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2012
      I saw Almost Famous when it was released in theaters a dozen years ago.
      One line that stuck with me was Lester Bangs telling William Miller (the
      Cameron Crowe stand-in) that "friendship is the drug that they offer
      you," referring what rock band members do to get favorable coverage from
      the reporters covering them. I checked that scene on YouTube today and
      it shows up as "friendship is the booze they feed you." IMDB also
      shows that as the line.

      I'm wondering whether I misremember the line, or if it was changed when
      the movie was released to VHS and DVD (to make it pass muster with
      Wal-Mart and the like. Can anyone help shed some light on this?

      Eliot