Dith Pran

  • richard.factor
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
      While I don't claim to be the New York skyline, it turns out that I
      was the subject of a Dith Pran photo in the Times a couple of years
      ago. They were doing an article about my PriUPS project (powering my
      house with my Prius) and wanted a photo to accompany the article.
      Who did they send to the wilds of suburbia? Pran himself! At the
      time I was unaware of the Killing Fields movie and his life story,
      but we had time to chat and I learned about it, in brief, directly
      from him and read the book a few days later after I found it on eBay.

      The photo he took of me was less than memorable. Fortunately it only
      appeared in the print edition, so I'm no longer embarrassed by it. I
      also took a photo of him, and much to my amazement, it comes up first
      if you do a Google image search for Dith Pran. I discovered this
      when my blog "hits" took a major jump on Sunday. If you want to see
      the photo, or read about one of Pran's less-publicized adventures, see

      http://www.priups.com/riklblog/sep06/060927-dith-pran.htm

      It was sad to read about his passing from cancer after his
      indomitable courage and survival during the regime of Pol Pot.

      Richard
      NP: Walking Tall - Lauren Cregor
    • ruthsings08
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
        I also have a Dith Pran story, but not as personal as Richard's. In
        the spring of 1989, when I was in law school, a group of law students
        organized a Community Action Day to help repair a fire-damaged
        building in Chelsea. Dith Pran came to cover the event for the Times.
        I wrote in the student newspaper:

        At 3:45 that afternoon, the fourth and last of the two-hour shifts
        boarded the trolley and rode out to the site. As the students filed
        out, a volunteer asked them to assemble in front of the trolley for a
        New York Times photographer. The photographer turned out to be Dith
        Pran, whose heroic survival of Cambodia's Pol Pot regime was depicted
        in the film The Killing Fields.

        I recall that several people took his photo.

        ***

        I imagine some of you Gmail users have noticed Google's newly
        announced service. For those you don't use Gmail, here it is:

        http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

        I for one plan to make use of it: in fact, I will have posted this
        tomorrow and backdated it.

        Ruth
      • Bruce Giordano
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
          --- In iddiots@yahoogroups.com, "ruthsings08" <ruth.singleton@...> wrote:

          > I imagine some of you Gmail users have noticed Google's newly
          > announced service. For those you don't use Gmail, here it is:
          >
          > http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html
          >
          > I for one plan to make use of it: in fact, I will have posted this
          > tomorrow and backdated it.
          >
          > Ruth

          I don't know. Google seems to be good at announcing these services
          but they don't seem to follow thru with the actual products. I'm
          still waiting for the TiSP Wireless Broadband Service they announced
          last year:
          http://www.google.com/tisp/
        • amychenoconnell
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2008
            Richard.Factor shares:
            http://www.priups.com/riklblog/sep06/060927-dith-pran.htm

            Richard! Thank you so much for posting this link. I'm kind of amazed
            at how sad I am at the loss of this man I had never met. But judging
            from the NYTimes website letters, I'm not alone. I envy those of you
            who crossed his path.

            I love the picture you took. Wouldn't you think the light in eyes that
            saw such unspeakable horror would just go out? And yet, what sparkle
            there! And such a bright smile. It's a very heartening image. Thank
            you for sharing it.

            Amy