Re: RECOMMENDED VIEWING -- Paul Simon at anyone's most gracious

  • Don Abrams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011

      Last week I was fortunate enough to see Paul Simon live twice in DC, the second time at a small club.  At the first show, in DAR Constitution Hall, a similar scenario to Rayna and Duncan occurred when Paul Simon flubbed the lyrics at the start of Gumboots.  Here’s the pertinent part from the Washington Post review:

      “It was one of those magical concert moments. Paul Simon was nearing the end of a sparkling concert at DAR Constitution Hall, having just brought the adoring, capacity crowd to its feet and inspiring every variety of awkward dance move with his 1986 hit “Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes.” Next came “Gumboots,” a zippy romp, also from the landmark “Graceland” album. As Paul stood stage center, smiling and singing with an added bit of elan, hearty cheers erupted and cellphones were unshackled to capture the moment.

      Except it wasn’t Paul Simon doing the singing. It was some dude. (We later found out his name is Paul Fournier, a local 42-year-old patent lawyer.) Simon missed his vocal cue on the song (he’s 69, give him a break) and then simply invited Fournier onstage to sing. The Other Paul had all the rock-star charisma of the original, which is to say none at all — short brown hair, a tucked-in button-up shirt, dark slacks, goofy grin. Yet he proved to be a complete natural. His rendition wasn’t simply passable, it was near perfect.”

      While initially it was hard to be certain this wasn’t a set-up, as the ‘other’ Paul’s voice was spot-on, when the ’other Paul‘ started his spazzed white guy “dancing’… and I use that term very loosely in this case…. it was apparent this was spontaneous.  Here’s a you-tube clip, so see for your self:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkS8U1Vc1fM

      And here’s the other Paul’s story:

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/post/dc-lawyer-helps-paul-simon-find-the-words-finish-the-song-at-constitution-hall/2011/05/26/AG2K21BH_blog.html

      Paul Simon has seemed extremely loose in concert lately, even while keeping the curlicue hand gestures to a minimum, and this generosity certainly makes the audience sense how the bond extends in all directions.

      Donnie

    • Amy O'Connell
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
        I am clapping with glee watching the video.  It looks like a dream come true for this guy -- and Paul Simon looks so completely delighted. It's why I love to see live music -- I just love watching the interaction between the musicians.  And to see this interaction between the headliner with an audience member/instant musician hybrid gave me goose bumps. Everyone in that venue must have been thrilled.  The Other Paul has been a fan since pre-school?! Leo still has Dylan on repeat function - so look out for a spontaneous concert appearance when Leo is 35 and Dylan is 930.

        Love it, absolutely love it!  Enchanting is what that was...

        (I know all the words to "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road."  Just sayin'...)
      • Amy O'Connell
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
          Art! I just watched the Rayna/Duncan video!
          I'm kvelling for her! I'm positively plotzing with joy! And I'm cooking dinner on this extremely warm evening, so, I'm shvitzing, too.

          Please tell me why Paul Simon brings out the Bubby in me.
        • Jeff Bernstein
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
            A classic NY post! Someone originally from the left coast with Chinese heritage and an Irish name throws Yiddishisms into a post about a New York Jew from Forest Hills. Perfect!

            On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Amy O'Connell <amyleechen@...> wrote:

            Art! I just watched the Rayna/Duncan video!
            I'm kvelling for her! I'm positively plotzing with joy! And I'm cooking dinner on this extremely warm evening, so, I'm shvitzing, too.

            Please tell me why Paul Simon brings out the Bubby in me.
          • r_gordon_7wa
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2011
              And living proof of the Lenny Bruce quote,

              "If you're from New York and you're Catholic, you're still Jewish. If you're from Butte Montana and you're Jewish, you're still goyisch. The Air Force is Jewish, the Marine Corps dangerous goyisch. Rye Bread is Jewish, instant potatoes, scary goyisch. Eddie Cantor is goyisch, George Jessel is goyisch-Coleman Hawkins is Jewish."

              r-gordon-7