San Francisco sucks!!!!

  • robert borowicz
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      We arrived at San Francisco Airport and immediately people were rude, weather is terrible, train was late and uncomfortable and hotel terrible!!!! Never again!!!!

      NOT!!!!!!

      Happy April Fools Day....

      What a wonderful city.....

      -Rob {having tea and looking out at Alcatraz and the brown freezing water and wondering how the birdman did it}
    • CousinSteve@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
        You fooled me. Nice IDD kick-off for April.
        Cousin Steve
        We arrived at San Francisco Airport and immediately people were rude, weather is terrible, train was late and uncomfortable and hotel terrible!!!! Never again!!!!

        NOT!!!!!!

        Happy April Fools Day....

        What a wonderful city.....

        -Rob {having tea and looking out at Alcatraz and the brown freezing water and wondering how the birdman did it}

        Sent via handheld device from Luthor Corp.
      • Andy Denardi
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
          Wondering how the birdman did what? He had no birds at Alcatraz and he died after 17 years in prison.

          > -Rob {having tea and looking out at Alcatraz and the brown
          > freezing water and wondering how the birdman did it}

        • Tom Ucko
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
            Rob must have been thinking of the Frank Morris (Clint Eastwood) character in Escape From Alcatraz. There is no proof that Morris - or anyone else - ever survived an Alcatraz escape attempt.

            Wondering how the birdman did what? He had no birds at Alcatraz and he died after 17 years in prison.

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
              Thanks Tom,  Indeed I was thinking of Morris and Eastwood's character.  Having breakfast every morning and gazing out at the Island, I  am inclined to wonder, and entertain some speculation.

              The first two days here were warm and enjoyable and that swim looked 'easy'. Then last night a brisk wind moved in presenting a chill to these visiting Texans.  And suddenly that water looks a bit colder and escape a bit more difficult.

              We spent the morning yesterday at Muir Woods renewing a past visit and relationship with this magnificent place.  Since then one of the magnificent specimens there has fallen and initial sadness about it since it was benefactor William Kent's favorite tree there.  (nearly 300 feet tall!)  While sad, this is the cycle of the forest. One of my favorite things to read yesterday was: "A tree spends half of its life standing and the other half fallen, and contributing to the ecosystem of the forest."

              I particularly like this tidbit from Wikipedia on how the place came to be in the first place. Brilliant side stepping of the mis-directed progress of man:

              "By the early 20th century, most of these forests had been cut down. Just north of the San Francisco Bay, one valley named Redwood Canyon remained uncut, mainly due to its relative inaccessibility.

              This was noticed by U.S. Congressman William Kent. He and his wife, Elizabeth Thacher Kent, purchased 611 acres (247 ha) of land from the Tamalpais Land and Water Company for $45,000 with the goal of protecting the redwoods and the mountain above them.

              In 1907, a water company in nearby Sausalito planned to dam Redwood Creek, thereby flooding the valley. When Kent objected to the plan, the water company took him to court to attempt to force the project to move ahead. Kent sidestepped the water company's plot by donating 295 acres (119 ha) of the redwood forest to the Federal Government, thus bypassing the local courts."

              -Frisco Bob

            • HorridChairSap@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011

                 , rob-7704@... writes:

                -Frisco Bob

                Were Herb Caen still with us, I believe he would note, er, that's San Francisco Bob, Bob.
              • r_gordon_7wa
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
                  Rob - speaking of birds - hopefully it's not too late for one more SF suggestion... If you haven't already seen it, watch the DVD, "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" (a very special & wonderful film), then walk up & around Telegraph Hill (especialy the park area slopes) to Coit Tower & see if you happen to spot any...

                  r-gordon-7

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
                    In an odd coincidence, I just read that the last island prison in the US closed Friday. It was also the first prison to house Robert Stroud, who would become the Birdman Of Alcatraz.