Good Times

  • Herb Greenebaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      Back in the day, I used to be an intrepid corespondent for Good Times, which I believe was then based in Queens.
      I wrote a number of puff pieces on various clubs and restaurants that they either wanted to advertise or with whom they wanted to cement their relationship.
      I reviewed a few concerts (James Cotton, MTB and Charlie Daniels Band at the Felt Forum stands out in my mind: 2nd row seats: my ears were ringing for about a week thereafter.
      Did profiles on Cousin Brucie, Murray the K and Dennis Elsas.
      Also covered an anti-war rally and remember meeting Rep. Allard Lowenstein and Shirley Chisholm. What I remember best, though, is a Christmas Party in the city (circa 1974) where publisher Richie Branciforte came out in front of the assembled staff (which included film critic Leonard Maltin). "There's no food and you need to buy your own drinks," said Richie. "I could have thrown a party, but I figured you guys would rather just get paid." He then proceeded to hand out our free-lance checks, which as I recall, were quite welcome.

      Speaking of good times (l/c), took a Rockin' the River cruise Thurs nite w/ Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes: nice breeze as the Circle Line sailed and great music from Johnny and the boys: good cover of Walk Away, Renee, some newer original material, and old reliables like "Talk to Me," "I Got the Fever," "I Don't Want to Go Home" and opf course, "We're Havin' A Party" as the boat headed back to dock. This kinda venue I imagine, for a band like SJ, is like a former major leaguer playing in the Atlantic League (Ducks, Bluefish, Bears, etc): lot less bread, but you still get to live the life.

      Herby from Huntington