Re: college boys of summer and war

  • Robert Borowicz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      Bob,

      Indeed the FSU trouncing of Ohio State is embarassing. We have seen the "run rule" in Austin over the years but in the NCAA tournement there is no such rule. Nor is there a curfew as I experienced Sat night/Sunday morning and the 25 inning affair.

      Speaking of being patriotic... Or NOT... The Longhorn Baseball team was anything but that to a scrappy Army team Sunday night, when UT pulled out a 14-10 come-from-behind victory in the bottom of the 9th.

      With Army leading 10-6 going into the bottom of the 9th, we loaded the bases and a ground out scored a run to make it 10-7. Then another walk loaded the bases again, and our SS hit a towering shot that *JUST* missed going out for a bases clearing 3 run double tieing the score at 10-10.

      But we weren't done yet... Two MORE walks loaded the bases yet again and up came our Senior catcher/1B who was simply trying to score the winning run from home with a sac fly. (there was 1 out)

      Well the sac fly turned into a monster blast over the LF fence and Austin went biserk as Preston Clark walked off a grand slam to beat Army in the bottom of the ninth. As the cliche goes... the place went nuts!

      Next round of the tourney (Super Regionals) for us is next weekend and we get: TCU in Austin.

      I must say the Army cadets were good sports and our announcer gave the men about to serve our country good props thanking them for a great tournement. We gave them a standing ovation in defeat to lots of doffed caps from the huddled and stunned Army team.

      Lastly we always sing "The Eyes of Texas" to our team after each game as they line up along the RF foul line and we salute each other with the "hook-em" held high. In respect the Army team lined up on the LF line and folded their hands in front of them stopping their post game huddle in respect to us. Very very classy of the Army team I thought.

      -Austin Bob {without much of a voice this morning}