Poco jam?

  • Ray Of Sunshine
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009

      Way back in the days of old in my days as the Mad-Reel-to-Reel-Taper,I had a Poco album circa 1970 called Poco. No other title. Jim Messina was playing guitar on that album and there was a great studio jam on it called “Nobody's Fool/El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa.” It doesn’t exist on any of the collections. Other album cuts were “Hurry Up", "You Better Think Twice", and "Honky Tonk Downstairs" (thanks, Fil!) I haven’t heard it since 1976 or so when my reel to reel died. Does anybody have that jam cut or the whole album out there? Thanks, Ray

    • dcohen150
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
        Ray,

        You're talkin' about Poco's second album. If no one else has it, I could send it the old fashioned way...CD. Remember those?

        --- In iddiots@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Of Sunshine" <ray.o.sunshine@...> wrote:

        > Way back in the days of old in my days as the Mad-Reel-to-Reel-Taper,I had a
        > Poco album circa 1970 called Poco. No other title. Jim Messina was playing
        > guitar on that album and there was a great studio jam on it called "Nobody's
        > Fool/El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa." It doesn't exist on any of the
        > collections. Other album cuts were "Hurry Up", "You Better Think Twice", and
        > "Honky Tonk Downstairs" (thanks, Fil!) I haven't heard it since 1976 or so
        > when my reel to reel died. Does anybody have that jam cut or the whole album
        > out there? Thanks, Ray

      • r_gordon_7wa
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
          Ray,

          I know I have the album - pretty sure I have it on LP. Might also have it as one of my import CDs. Problems are:

          1. I'm in Beijing and the all the music is back home in Seattle.

          2. Though all the discs are neatly cataloged in a MS Access database file, the file is also back home in Seattle - and without it I can't check to see if I have it in more than one format.

          3. All the actual discs are scattered about the house in Seattle in no particular order, many deeply hidden under/behind other things. (Jen, as someone adverse to clutter, is very forgiving!)

          4. There are over 16,000 discs (LPs & CDs), though, since I believe it's one of my old LPs, that cuts the search pool down from ~16,000 to only ~6,000...

          All that said, when we return home I'll begin the search... unless someone else far more organized than I finds their copy first...

          r-gordon-7

          --- In iddiots@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Of Sunshine" <ray.o.sunshine@...> wrote:

          > Way back in the days of old in my days as the Mad-Reel-to-Reel-Taper,I had a
          > Poco album circa 1970 called Poco. No other title. Jim Messina was playing
          > guitar on that album and there was a great studio jam on it called "Nobody's
          > Fool/El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa." It doesn't exist on any of the
          > collections. Other album cuts were "Hurry Up", "You Better Think Twice", and
          > "Honky Tonk Downstairs" (thanks, Fil!) I haven't heard it since 1976 or so
          > when my reel to reel died. Does anybody have that jam cut or the whole album
          > out there? Thanks, Ray

        • Lew Goodman
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
            There are 23 used CD dealers who are selling the entire original album on
            CD, some for as little as $2, at Amazon.com.

            http://www.amazon.com/Poco/dp/B0000024VY

            There are also several sites that are offering the MP3 download of that song
            for 99¢.

            Pete Fornatale plays that song fairly often on WFUV. It was a staple at
            NEW-FM.

            Ray wrote:
            > Way back in the days of old in my days as the Mad-Reel-to-Reel-Taper,I had a
            > Poco album circa 1970 called Poco. No other title. Jim Messina was playing
            > guitar on that album and there was a great studio jam on it called "Nobody's
            > Fool/El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa." It doesn't exist on any of the
            > collections. Other album cuts were "Hurry Up", "You Better Think Twice", and
            > "Honky Tonk Downstairs" (thanks, Fil!) I haven't heard it since 1976 or so
            > when my reel to reel died. Does anybody have that jam cut or the whole album
            > out there?
          • Robert Borowicz
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
              Having had the pleasure of meeting Richard in Seattle I can vouch for
              that wonderful record collection, but not for the disorganization part.
              They all looked to be in neat little piles to me...

              Perhaps it was that experience that led me to my current project of
              scanning all of my physical CD's and Records into what Media Monkey
              calls "insane" bit rate of 320 b/s on my spiffy new computer with a 1
              Terabyte "raid" disk.

              This led me to this very same Poco record we are discussing in my
              collection the other day which is a "dirty" re-make from a poor quality
              (less then 320 b/sec) MP3 master.

              I'm inclined to pick up a copy from Amazon right now cause that record
              is a "must have" at "insane" quality.... My Vinyl won't cut it....

              By the way if you want encouragement that the spirit of Poco lives on in
              new bands sample these guys:

              http://tinyurl.com/d529t7

              This is "or, the whale's" Myspace page which is streaming the entire
              recent record "Light Poles and Pines" which they just did most of at
              SXSW. Scroll down to "Prayer for the Road" and turn up the volume and
              channel Richie and the boys.....

              -Austin Bob

              P.S. You can find "or, the whale" at Emusic.

              r_gordon_7wa wrote:

              > Ray,
              >
              > I know I have the album - pretty sure I have it on LP. Might also have
              > it as one of my import CDs. Problems are:
              >
              > 1. I'm in Beijing and the all the music is back home in Seattle.
              >
              > 2. Though all the discs are neatly cataloged in a MS Access database
              > file, the file is also back home in Seattle - and without it I can't
              > check to see if I have it in more than one format.
              >
              > 3. All the actual discs are scattered about the house in Seattle in no
              > particular order, many deeply hidden under/behind other things. (Jen,
              > as someone adverse to clutter, is very forgiving!)
              >
              > 4. There are over 16,000 discs (LPs & CDs), though, since I believe
              > it's one of my old LPs, that cuts the search pool down from ~16,000 to
              > only ~6,000...
              >
              > All that said, when we return home I'll begin the search... unless
              > someone else far more organized than I finds their copy first...
              >
              > r-gordon-7
              >
              > --- In iddiots@yahoogroups.com <mailto:iddiots%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > "Ray Of Sunshine" <ray.o.sunshine@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Way back in the days of old in my days as the
              > Mad-Reel-to-Reel-Taper,I had a
              > > Poco album circa 1970 called Poco. No other title. Jim Messina was
              > playing
              > > guitar on that album and there was a great studio jam on it called
              > "Nobody's
              > > Fool/El Tonto de Nadie, Regresa." It doesn't exist on any of the
              > > collections. Other album cuts were "Hurry Up", "You Better Think
              > Twice", and
              > > "Honky Tonk Downstairs" (thanks, Fil!) I haven't heard it since 1976
              > or so
              > > when my reel to reel died. Does anybody have that jam cut or the
              > whole album
              > > out there? Thanks, Ray

            • Joshua Sills
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                I have the original LP, but need to get a new B&O turntable belt before
                trying to make a cd or mp3 from it, if that helps...

              • CousinSteve@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                  I believe I have the CD.
                  I'm in DC this week.
                  Cousin Steve
                  Sent via handheld device from Luthor Corp.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009

                    I too have the CD….looking at it now.

                    Spencer Kantor

                  • HorridChairSap@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                      Since it's Everybody Respond to Ray Day,

                      for the record, I don't have that cd, LP, mp3, or the song in any other format, although I do have half a jar of raspberry jam.  It also might be beyond its expiration date, though.

                      .

                      AOL now offers free SPAM with every email.  Get it now before they go out of business.

                      .

                      **************
                      New Low Prices on Dell Laptops – Starting at $399 (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220631247x1201390185/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213540506%3B35046329%3Bx)
                    • r_gordon_7wa
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                        --- In iddiots@yahoogroups.com, Robert Borowicz <rob-7704@...> wrote:

                        > Having had the pleasure of meeting Richard in Seattle I can vouch for
                        > that wonderful record collection, but not for the disorganization part.
                        > They all looked to be in neat little piles to me...

                        Thanks, Bob. I'll show you post to Jen, as proof positive that things really aren't as bad as they seem! ;-)

                        r-gordon-7
                      • Dennis Dubrow
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 2, 2009
                          ER2R day on the IDD! I also do not possess the missing Poco album. I
                          am heavy into my Van Morrison epiphany and I'm dying for Them albums.
                          Has anyone ever heard or read musician cite van as their influence?

                          Dennis
                        • Karla Kingsbury
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2009
                            (The T, of course, is for Thursday)

                            Phil Lynott namechecks Van Morrison in the song "Black Rose" - that counts, right?

                            Oh, and I don't have the Poco album...

                            - K.

                            traderdube asked:

                            Has anyone ever heard or read musician cite van as their influence?

                            Quick access to your favorite MSN content and Windows Live with Internet Explorer 8. Download FREE now!