More Movies

  • Nora Mandel
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28, 2012

      The lovers of the Russian Empire fit into an amazing and heartless theater

      (I just skim read a free Kindle version of the book, and have watched a couple other TV & movie versions.)

      ANNA KARENINA
      http://film-forward.com/costume-drama/anna-karenina

      This documentary just finished its run I think at the Film Forum.

      Sending lawyers, guns, and shekels to the Palestinian territories for over 40 Years

      THE LAW IN THESE PARTS
      http://film-forward.com/star-reviews/the-law-in-these-parts

      My editor usually hatchets my reviews of Israeli films, so I put in one block what he cut on my website:

      http://mavensnest.net/grownup.html#law

      When the deaf only heard Jesus say suffer the little children and nothing about heaven in church

      This documentary may still be at the Film Forum before it’s on HBO next year.

      MEA MAXIMA CULPA: SILENCE IN THE HOUSE OF GOD
      http://film-forward.com/star-reviews/mea-maxima-culpa-silence-in-the-house-of-god

      There’s been 2 excellent documentaries on PBS’s Frontline about priest abuse that are still streaming on the PBS website, one about Massaschusetts and one about Native Americans in Alaska.

      Jeff, I think, had mentioned he attended some showings at the DOC NYC Film Festival downtown.  I so far have reviewed some of the films for a website I’ll be reviewing for more in the future, including a couple of music ones:

      http://filmfestivaltraveler.com/film-festivals/42-reviews/2352-doc-nyc-3rd-season-reviewed-part-

      ICEBERG SLIM: PORTRAIT OF A PIMP

      FAR OUT ISN’T FAR ENOUGH: THE TOMI UNGERER STORY

      SHEPARD & DARK (about the playwright)

      THE PERVERT’S GUIDE TO IDEOLOGY (about movies and philosophy)

      DAVID BROMBERG: UNSUNG TREASURECAN’T STAND LOSING YOU

      CAN’T STAND LOSING YOU (that’s about the band The Police)

      VENUS AND SERENA

      XXXX

      I’m looking forward to finishing up my end-of-the-year movie rush so I can marathon watch HBO and Showtime On Demand series that I haven’t had time for.  At least Showtime finally posted the finale of Weeds so I could catch that one.

      Then there’s the problem that Amazon has figured out what to tempt me to buy for Cyber Every Day Until whenever so I end up clicking through 500 sales.  I didn’t even know there was a initial TV movie that set off the McLeod’s Daughters TV series,

      Nora Lee Mandel

      Member, New York Film Critics Online

      http://www.film-forward.com

      http://rottentomatoes.com/critic/Nora-Lee-Mandel