Web 2 Applications & Social Networking

  • Gary O. Grimm
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2006
      Information about the very interesting concept of Social Networking and community
      building is exploding on the Internet.

      The organization of personal blogs, community wikis, and dicussion groups has been
      enabled by what is being called Web 2. Applications. Below is a link to a Matt Mackenzie's
      blog commenting that "Web 2.0 is about community building."

      http://www.mac-kenzie.net/blog/2006/06/15/my-take-on-web20

      These applications can perform the same function as an old analogue "Bulletin Board"
      where individuals can post a notice about a trip, idea, or community project and invite
      others to join in a "Common Adventure" to attempt to organize and actualize the proposed
      project.

      I am doing research on how these expanding Web 2. opportunities can be used by people
      who are visiting the web sites Mountain Visions is producing.

      I plan to produce a blog to create links to relevant articles about Social Networking, Web 2.
      and Wikis. In 2003 I started one Common Adventure Blog and I will either expand this or
      create a new one. FYI, below is a link to that original project.

      http://homepage.mac.com/gogrimm.mac/iblog/

      I also plan to start experimental Wiki groups for new web site projects including the
      Jamaica Protected Areas, Idaho Weed Awareness and River Menders. I may also start
      experimental projects for the 5 Interactive Watersheds projects. Below are the web site
      URLs for these projects. The first three are still under construction and they all contain
      Community or Networking sections.

      Jamaica Protected Area Trust
      http://jpat-jm.net/

      Idaho Weed Awareness Campaign