Hear why GARVEE must be scaled back

  • ivalleyid
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2006
      Sen. Skip Brandt, Chair of the Senate Transportation Committee, is
      scheduled to appear on AM 670 KBOI in Boise Monday morning, March
      6th, from 8:30 to 9:30. He'll discuss with hosts Paul J. Schneider
      and Chris Walton why GARVEE must be scaled back to just the two or
      three most urgently needed projects. Sen. Brandt and Rep. Wood are
      working hard to build a coalition of legislators from around the
      state who agree that we cannot take on the kind of debt load that 11
      GARVEE projects entail, especially in light of uncertain federal
      highway dollars.

      At the JFAC meeting on February 21st, during Sen. Brandt and Rep.
      Wood's testimony, members of JFAC used the Indian Valley highway by
      name as an example of projects that do not merit GARVEE funding.
      Sen. Keough said, "We're hearing from people" about everything
      that's wrong with the South Emmett to Mesa proposal. We are being
      heard! Keep those calls, letters, and e-mails flowing to JFAC
      members and your own legislators. Urge them to join Sen. Brandt and
      Rep. Wood in keeping the state from being plunged into debt for the
      next 30 years! If GARVEE is to be used at all--a risky proposition
      at best--it should only be used to complete the most urgently needed
      projects, such as I84 from Caldwell to Meridian.