Reader's View published November 2, 2005 in the Idaho Statesman

  • grfranklin53
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
      Article published Nov 2, 2005 in the Idaho Statesman, Local page 6

      PROPOSED OUTLYING DEVELOPMENTS POSE THREAT TO WILDLIFE HABITAT

      A Reader's View by Stan Riddle and Oscar Williamson

      Deer Hunters of Idaho is a nonprofit organization dedicated to
      preserving the mule-deer herds of Idaho. DHI believes habitat is the
      most important component in sustaining these herds.

      Habitat for deer is not just for deer; it is for a wide range of
      wildlife. Without it we lose one of the main ingredients for all
      life, a place to live. DHI is concerned about increasing development
      pressures on key habitat across the state — in particular, proposed
      developments in the Boise area. DHI is not against managed
      development and subsequent growth but is against projects that are
      far removed from the urban areas expected to serve them and that
      endanger one of Idaho's most valuable commodities, wildlife.

      • SunCor, the Arizona development giant, is proposing a development
      in the hills above Boise that would wipe out the habitat for large
      numbers of mule deer and elk. Once homes and commercial ventures are
      built, there will be no more deer or elk living there.
      • The Hammer Flat area east of Boise above Idaho 21 is another area
      being looked at for development of more than 700 acres of
      irreplaceable mule-deer and elk winter range.

      • The proposed Indian Valley Highway north of Emmett would be a four-
      lane highway from Emmett north to Mesa Hill south of Council, on up
      through the Middle Fork of the Weiser River, and over onto the floor
      of Long Valley near the biggest development in southwest Idaho,
      Tamarack. This proposed highway would have the most far-reaching
      effects on deer and elk of any single development in Southwest
      Idaho. It would destroy thousands of acres of valuable habitat and
      would cut off big game from traditional winter-range migration
      routes. This highway would result in large winter-range die-offs of
      mule deer and elk by keeping animals from making their yearly
      migration from the high mountains to the valleys, and by
      catastrophic vehicle/wildlife collisions.
      Developments of this size and scale effectively wipe out low-
      elevation winter-grazing areas. The deer and elk that need this
      habitat are subject to winter starvation when their graze is
      destroyed. The loss of winter and year-round habitat has a profound
      effect on deer and elk — not just in the area developed, but across
      their entire range.

      DHI believes these developments lead to urban sprawl and the
      wholesale destruction of habitat. We think it is a better course for
      towns and cities to grow out from their core and into impact areas
      where growth can be well-engineered and well-thought-out. The trend
      toward leapfrog development out into undeveloped areas leads to a
      chaotic, haphazard growth pattern and destruction of rangeland
      habitat and a net loss of quality of life. It destroys one of the
      very things we live here for.

      It is our responsibility as citizens to voice our opinions on these
      issues by contacting county and state officials. They know we vote,
      and our opinions do count. If you enjoy hunting, viewing, or
      photographing deer and elk, you must get involved. If you don't,
      there will soon be few of them for you to enjoy. Please look at the
      Mule Deer Initiative, "The Last Best Place for Boise's Mule Deer"
      and "Tough Decisions Affect Tomorrow's Wildlife," on the Fish &
      Game's Web site at: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/hunt/MDI/. Get
      involved.
      If you would like more information about Deer Hunters of Idaho
      please call Stan Riddle at 939-1878 or Oscar Williamson II at 571-
      1355. Oscar Williamson II is president and Stan Riddle is vice
      president of Deer Hunters of Idaho.
    • Colleen Skillings
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2005
        I just took the time to really read this thoroughly and am happy to see
        other groups who share our concerns.........