[SHARE] SAMSUNG to produce "Ruby on Rails in Silicon" System on a Chip

  • Achmad Gozali
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2011
      Samsung Electronics, Co., Ltd., one of the worlds greatest advanced
      semiconductor producer, announced the latest of it's popular ARM11
      based System on a Chip (SoC) solutions, the RORIS6440 "Rails in
      Silicon" web-application processor. Based on the SamsungÃÔ advanced
      45nm low power CMOS process technology, the "Rails in Silicon" chip
      offers a high performance, low power and cost effective solution for
      next generation web applications.

      The System on a Chip consists of 4 subsystems occupying each 1/4 of
      the SoC :
      a) The ruby language interpreter in silicon
      b) The ruby gems subsystem (Xilinx FPGA)
      c) The Rails Framework subsystem
      d) The normalization FPGA (normalizing inconsistencies of the other 3
      subsystems)

      The RORIS6440 web-application processor is available in samples for
      selected customers. It is scheduled for volume shipment in the fourth
      quarter of this year. The chip is housed in a 13¥é13 FBGA package with
      a ball pitch of 0.65mm.

      -

      Yukuhiro Matsumoto, the ruby language designer commented:

      "Samsung engineers gave me some requirements for the necessary code-
      refactoring, in order to simplify the integration of the core
      interpreter into silicon. I can say that they were really professional
      till the latest cell of their body. And they listen, too! I said to
      them "I'm passionate about ruby, and many people love it". They said:
      "Don't worry, we will place some hearts at the side of each wafer with
      an inscription "With love, Ruby". - Well, they did it. I'm sitting
      here at my electron microscope (a present from Samsung's CTO), looking
      at the wafer's inscription. Just Lovely!"

      Asked what happened with the code-refactoring, Mr. Matsumoto replied:
      "I don't know, I got problems with my stomach after one day doing the
      refactoring. It was finally outsourced to undisclosed contractor, I
      think somewhere in Europe, but am not sure."

      via http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/387196