Re: Balasan: [id-ruby] iAsk: showing UTC as PST with to_pst ?

  • Widi Harsojo
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
      rails dah support tuh pake lib tzinfo
      C:\edge\rails\rails_trunk\activesupport\lib\active_support\vendor\tzinfo-0.3.8\tzinfo

      dan silahkan cek di sini..
      http://mad.ly/2008/04/09/rails-21-time-zone-support-an-overview/

      best regards,
      widi harsojo

      On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM, polutan <linspirell@...> wrote:

      > kok pake bhs inggris sih?
      > pake bhs Indonesia aja napa? yg laen kan ndak ngerti...

    • Arie Kusuma Atmaja
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
        On 10/04/2008, Widi Harsojo <wharsojo@...> wrote:

        > rails dah support tuh pake lib tzinfo
        > C:\edge\rails\rails_trunk\activesupport\lib\active_support\vendor\tzinfo-0.3.8\tzinfo
        >
        > dan silahkan cek di sini..
        > http://mad.ly/2008/04/09/rails-21-time-zone-support-an-overview/

        Thanks for the link, however, I knew how to use this time zone using
        tzinfo (with or without the rubygem / or meaning with rails support or
        without its support).

        Look, this one line is scarry me -_-

        config.time_zone = 'Central Time (US & Canada)'

        I copy pasted the line above from that site, I actually implemented in
        one of my sites though, but not for the serious one. -_-

        Anyone knows how to save *BOTH* UTC *AND* PST, so just say we have
        created_at (as for the default one we use it just the same like the
        UNIX/Linux Server locale = UTC), then we also want to have
        created_at_pst (this one is by all mean in pst) just in case "the
        extremely agile team" want to change it again in the future. or just
        speak up of any other much better suggestions.

        ps. so to emphasize, we MUST NOT use config.time_zone, we MUST NOT use
        Time.zone = "blah". What'll we do?

        --
        blog: http://tinyurl.com/2bjgvn,
        ruby: http://www.ruby-lang.org/id/about

        "Developer Time is expensive...
        Servers are cheap...", Ezra Zygmuntowicz - Merb
      • Yohanes Santoso
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 10, 2008
          "Arie Kusuma Atmaja" <ariekusumaatmaja2@...> writes:

          > Anyone knows how to save *BOTH* UTC *AND* PST, so just say we have

          Kenapa tidak simpan UTC dan produksi PST seperlunya?

          YS

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
            On 11/04/2008, Yohanes Santoso <yahoo-id-ruby@...> wrote:

            > Kenapa tidak simpan UTC dan produksi PST seperlunya?

            (1) Cos I want to save the default time as UTC. I only need to show
            only reporting systems based by PST.
            By asking me such question you're reminding me of YAGNI, but (2) just
            in case if in the future team wants to change time again based by
            European Time. Then what shall we do if we don't have an original time
            backup. You got any suggestions, nome?

            Well, I actually haven't tried that new rake thing as tzinfo's been
            included in rails edge (inside code, course it's super easy only to do
            rake time bla bla on Terminal or outside the app but that's only
            impressing business guys and they'll say: whoaaa fancy looking, oooh
            it's cute, arie, such adorable bla bla bla ||= which usually turned to
            be unexpected I/O to me) -_-

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
              "Arie Kusuma Atmaja" <ariekusumaatmaja2@...> writes:

              > On 11/04/2008, Yohanes Santoso <yahoo-id-ruby@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Kenapa tidak simpan UTC dan produksi PST seperlunya?
              >
              > (1) Cos I want to save the default time as UTC. I only need to show
              > only reporting systems based by PST.

              Supaya memastikan saya mengerti jelas apa yang Arie bicarakan, saya
              akan kasih sebuah contoh menurut pengertian saya. Kalau tidak benar,
              tolong koreksi: Arie punya sebuah saat. Untuk gampangnya kita bilang
              bahwa saat yang Arie punya itu adalah saat yang sama dengan saat di
              mana saya sedang menulis kalimat ini. Saat ini bisa di representasikan
              sebagai 2008-04-11 13:11 UTC atau 2008-04-11 06:11 PDT (PDT karena
              sedang daylight savings time, jadinya tidak ada 2008-04-11 06:11
              PST). Yang UTC untuk di simpan ke persistent storage dan yang PDT
              untuk di pakai di reporting.

              Karena itu Arie mau punya dua method yang mengeluarkan representasi
              berbeda?
              ``created_at`` mengeluarkan representasi UTC, dan
              ``created_at_pacifictime`` mengeluarkan representasi PST atau PDT
              (tergantung apa ada daylight savings time atau tidak).

              Kalau nanti ingin mendapatkan representation dalam timezone lainnya,
              apakah akan ada ``created_at_wib``, ``created_at_wita``,
              ``created_at_wit``, dst.?

              YS

              > just in case if in the future team wants to change time again based
              > by European Time. Then what shall we do if we don't have an original
              > time backup. You got any suggestions, nome?
              >
              > Well, I actually haven't tried that new rake thing as tzinfo's been
              > included in rails edge (inside code, course it's super easy only to do
              > rake time bla bla on Terminal or outside the app but that's only
              > impressing business guys and they'll say: whoaaa fancy looking, oooh
              > it's cute, arie, such adorable bla bla bla ||= which usually turned to
              > be unexpected I/O to me) -_-
              >
              >> YS
            • Arie Kusuma Atmaja
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
                On 11/04/2008, Yohanes Santoso <yahoo-id-ruby@...> wrote:

                > Supaya memastikan saya mengerti jelas apa yang Arie bicarakan, saya
                > akan kasih sebuah contoh menurut pengertian saya. Kalau tidak benar,
                > tolong koreksi

                Exactly. Correct.

                > Kalau nanti ingin mendapatkan representation dalam timezone lainnya,
                > apakah akan ada ``created_at_wib``, ``created_at_wita``,
                > ``created_at_wit``, dst.?

                could be, but then i'm thinking of how to organize my codes to be much
                better and cleaner though, or I'll usually be strict to the team by
                asking : hey will you change time zone again? :( otherwise i'll just
                make it as a default one PST only.

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
                  On 11/04/2008, Arie Kusuma Atmaja <ariekusumaatmaja2@...> wrote:

                  > could be, but then i'm thinking of how to organize my codes to be much
                  > better and cleaner though

                  :-P

                  =))

                  ignore that paragraph, cos i knew the answer dang! name:string
                  time_zone:string just save these fields for each members and modify
                  codes easily.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
                    "Arie Kusuma Atmaja" <ariekusumaatmaja2@...> writes:

                    > On 11/04/2008, Yohanes Santoso <yahoo-id-ruby@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Supaya memastikan saya mengerti jelas apa yang Arie bicarakan, saya
                    >> akan kasih sebuah contoh menurut pengertian saya. Kalau tidak benar,
                    >> tolong koreksi
                    >
                    > Exactly. Correct.
                    >
                    >> Kalau nanti ingin mendapatkan representation dalam timezone lainnya,
                    >> apakah akan ada ``created_at_wib``, ``created_at_wita``,
                    >> ``created_at_wit``, dst.?
                    >
                    > could be, but then i'm thinking of how to organize my codes to be much
                    > better and cleaner though, or I'll usually be strict to the team by
                    > asking : hey will you change time zone again? :( otherwise i'll just
                    > make it as a default one PST only.

                    Jadinya, apakah Arie akan buat methods seperti:

                    add_decimal
                    add_hexadecimal
                    add_octal

                    Di mana:

                    4.add_decimal(6) # ==> "10"
                    4.add_hexadecimal(6) # ==> "0xa"
                    4.add_octal(6) # ==> "012"

                    Capek dong...

                    YS
                  • Arie Kusuma Atmaja
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 11, 2008
                      On 11/04/2008, Yohanes Santoso <yahoo-id-ruby@...> wrote:

                      > Jadinya, apakah Arie akan buat methods seperti:
                      >
                      > add_decimal
                      > add_hexadecimal
                      > add_octal
                      >
                      > Di mana:
                      >
                      > 4.add_decimal(6) # ==> "10"
                      > 4.add_hexadecimal(6) # ==> "0xa"
                      > 4.add_octal(6) # ==> "012"
                      >
                      > Capek dong...

                      course not -_- no worries, they provided it already in rails

                      http://mad.ly/2008/04/09/rails-21-time-zone-support-an-overview/

                      ps. sorry i mean "it" means time_zone