Question about The Troll

  • eric troup
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
      I was reading about The Troll, and something is eluding me. He has the Strike power at level 5 Given his Strength of 9, I'm assuming this is a Bash strike, although it's not mentioned. My question is: According to Strike's description, it does damage at its power level or Strength +1, whichever is greater. Obviously, this would mean adding +1 to his Strength. But then, what's the point of having a power level in Strike other than 1? (I mean as far as his stats are concerned. I realize not everyone has a Strength of 9.) I'm sure I'm missing something, but it's just not coming to me. I mean, he uses Prowess to hit with his fists, so the Strike level doesn't affect that. I'd like to use him in an upcoming game, so the answer to this question will be very helpful. Thanks.
    • Tommy Brownell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
        A couple of reasons come to mind:

        First off, random rolling is the default on powers, not point buy, so you
        can't REALLY control your Power Level anyway.

        Second of all, Power Nullification, Power Duplication and Power Theft are
        based off of the opposing power's Power Level...very handy to know what the
        power levels are if that's being used.

        I was reading about The Troll, and something is eluding me. He has the
        Strike power at level 5 Given his Strength of 9, I'm assuming this is a Bash
        strike, although it's not mentioned. My question is: According to Strike's
        description, it does damage at its power level or Strength +1, whichever is
        greater. Obviously, this would mean adding +1 to his Strength. But then,
        what's the point of having a power level in Strike other than 1? (I mean as
        far as his stats are concerned. I realize not everyone has a Strength of 9.)
        I'm sure I'm missing something, but it's just not coming to me. I mean, he
        uses Prowess to hit with his fists, so the Strike level doesn't affect that.
        I'd like to use him in an upcoming game, so the answer to this question will
        be very helpful. Thanks.

        13:36:00
      • eric troup
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
          Ah.  Got it.  Forgot about that.  I mean, he's a villain, so the first reason wouldn't really apply to him.  But the second ... there's the rub.

          And after typing the question, another reason that came to mind was that, on the off chance he got hit with a killing attack and his strength levels started to drop, eventually his Strength *could* get below his power level, and it would be awfully nice to know what that power level was.

          Thanks for your help.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
            Well, I was more answering the question of "why does someone need more than
            Strike of 1"...but yeah...=)

            Happy to help! I had a similar question about Immortality...I didn't see
            any reason for it to have a PL except for contesting those powers. Steve
            Kenson pretty much agreed.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
              BTW, just out of curiosity ... Does Recluse's illustration show how many arms he has? Just from his description, I'm guessing four ... but I have also been reading a story involving Doctor Octopus, so four arms is kind of on my brain. Thanks.

            • Tommy Brownell
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
                He has two normal arms and two normal legs.

                THEN he has two spidery-arms above his arms, and another set between his
                arms and legs.

                And big, ugly, spidery-head.

                BTW, just out of curiosity ... Does Recluse's illustration show how many
                arms he has? Just from his description, I'm guessing four ... but I have
                also been reading a story involving Doctor Octopus, so four arms is kind of
                on my brain. Thanks.

                On 20 Jun 2010, at 17:04, Tommy Brownell wrote:

                > Well, I was more answering the question of "why does someone need more
                > than
                > Strike of 1"...but yeah...=)
                >
                > Happy to help! I had a similar question about Immortality...I didn't see
                > any reason for it to have a PL except for contesting those powers. Steve
                > Kenson pretty much agreed.

                13:36:00
              • Jakub
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2010
                  --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

                  > I was reading about The Troll, and something is eluding me. He has the Strike power at level 5 Given his Strength of 9, I'm assuming this is a Bash strike, although it's not mentioned. My question is: According to Strike's description, it does damage at its power level or Strength +1, whichever is greater. Obviously, this would mean adding +1 to his Strength. But then, what's the point of having a power level in Strike other than 1?

                  Power Duplication and Power Theft, I think. There are also Power vs Power checks, like Power Nullification, where his level in Strike would matter.

                  Jakub
                • eric troup

                    BTW, just out of curiosity ... Does Recluse's illustration show how many
                    arms he has? Just from his description, I'm guessing four ... but I have
                    also been reading a story involving Doctor Octopus, so four arms is kind of
                    on my brain. Thanks.

                    On 20 Jun 2010, at 17:04, Tommy Brownell wrote:

                    > Well, I was more answering the question of "why does someone need more
                    > than
                    > Strike of 1"...but yeah...=)
                    >
                    > Happy to help! I had a similar question about Immortality...I didn't see
                    > any reason for it to have a PL except for contesting those powers. Steve
                    > Kenson pretty much agreed.

                    13:36:00

                  • Steve Kenson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 21, 2010
                      On Jun 21, 2010, at 7:07 AM, "eric troup" wrote:
                      I was reading about The Troll, and something is eluding me. He has the Strike power at level 5 Given his Strength of 9, I'm assuming this is a Bash strike, although it's not mentioned.

                      I think the Troll's Strike may be intended as a slashing Strike (his clawed hands), in which case it could potentially have a level lower than his Strength (since Strength doesn't normally do slashing damage); he would inflict 9 bashing damage or 5 slashing damage, depending on how he chose to attack.

                      If it's merely an enhancement to his bashing Strike, then the power's level is primarily for opposed power tests and the like, as folks have already pointed out.

                    • eric troup