New from Vigilance Press: The Ice Palace

  • Charles Rice
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010

      In the last days of WWII, in a secret fortress buried in the Antarctic ice, a devious mastermind is hatching a strategy that will land a knockout blow on the Allies and hand victory to the Nazis.

      The world hangs in the balance.

      Can your heroes stop this madman in time?

      ***

      This scenario is intended for ICONS characters in the late World War 2 era. You could easily
      incorporate (either as PCs or NPCs) the characters from the Allied superteams Crown Guard, the People's Revolution and Vigilance Force or the Axis superteams Eugenics Brigade and Shinjuwan Juunigatsu (all of which are also available from Vigilance Press.)

      Whether you use these characters or your own, the assumption is that the PCs are superheroes employed in the Allied war effort.

      This mini-adventure is intended as a sandbox style, non-linear scenario. The flow and sequence of the events depend largely on how the PCs decide to enter the base and where
      they go and what they do once inside.

      We provide a description of the Ice Palace base and suggestions for the encounters the PCs will have there, but the GM will be called on to improvise to some degree.

      You can pick up the Ice Palace now at RPGnow: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=85621&filters=0_0_0_0&manufacturers_id=437

    • Curt "Cripplepotomus" Meyer
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
        Already downloaded it. Chuck, you never did answer my question I posted to the list last week about why you guys have chosen to stat vehicles the way you have in the Vigilance products. For instance, you all assign  Prowess and Coordination stats, while ION Guard, I believe only assigns Strength. Which aspects of vehicle performance do each of the stats represent?

      • Charles Rice
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
          Heya Curt, I didn't write either of those books, so I'm not real sure why Mike did what he did. I will point him to your questions.

          Chuck

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
            Hey Curt

            I thought I'd answered this in the other thread. My bad.

            My logic on the prowess for vehicles kind of developed from a playtest where a player did a kamikaze run with a plane. It seemed like close combat attack with a vehicle should provide some kind of bonus to the attack -- in the same manner that a Weapons specialty would. So - that was the logic there

            The decision to include Coordination had similar logic. Some vehicles handle better than others - it seemed appropriate to have a Coordination bonus from vehicles to reflect this.

            So - that was my logic. Not saying it's above argument or the one right way. I'm certainly open to debate on it.

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
              So Prowess would indicate combat computers etc and Coordination would be Handling a la MSH. OK, what about a case when the pilot of a mecha's Prowess is higher than the inherent Prowess of the mecha? I'm sorry. When I like a game system, especially a rules-lite one, I always ask myself if I can run Bubblegum Crisis and Robotech with it. Not that I will, but I like the option.

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 7, 2010
                My idea was for the vehicle scores to provide a bonus to the pilot scores. So - in the case you mention, I'd used the combined Prowess score of the pilot and mecha

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                  Is it reasonably easy to adapt to modern days?

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                    well - that might be a question for a reviewer.

                    But as the writer, I can tell you I have run this with groups both in the modern day and in the WW2 era a minimum of hassle.

                    Since it's all set in a secret Antarctic base, it's easy enough to have it run by a neo-Nazi group in 2010ish, rather than some Nazi hold-outs in 1945ish.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                      Nice, I'd go with the same idea. ...looks like Vigilance's method of statting vehicles may become "canonical" if only because of the sheer number of ICONS products you put out :)

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 8, 2010
                        Well,
                        we do _sort_ of have that position right now.
                        Kind of....maybe.
                        But I'm anticipating there will be a TON more ICONS products shortly from a variety of publishers.