The Name Game - The super hero eddition

  • dan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
      Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot. Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names. (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have . Thanks everyone.
    • blue@wendtonline.net
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
        Try Seventh Sanctum for random names -

        http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-supe.php

        On Wed, November 3, 2010 4:31 pm, dan wrote:
        > Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot.
        > Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was
        > wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names.
        > (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have .
        > Thanks everyone.

      • dan caithamer
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
          Thanks for the link  and the quick response. You guys are the best.

          On Wed, November 3, 2010 4:31 pm, dan wrote:
          > Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot.
          > Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was
          > wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names.
          > (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have .
          > Thanks everyone.

        • Mike Olson
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
            I usually use a thesaurus. I start with either a concept or a powerset, then look up words related to one or the other. Often this ends up altering the original idea in subtle ways. E.g., when I decided to name my teenage powerthief/mimic Rip-Off, he became much more of a juvenile delinquent than I'd initially intended. (Also, he became more fun.)

            --Mike

            On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:19 AM, <blue@...> wrote:

            Try Seventh Sanctum for random names -

                http://www.seventhsanctum.com/index-supe.php

            On Wed, November 3, 2010 4:31 pm, dan wrote:
            > Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot.
            > Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid.  I was
            > wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names.
            > (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have .
            > Thanks everyone.

            <*> Your email settings:
               Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
               icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

               http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
              On 11/3/2010 11:31 AM, dan wrote:
              > Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot. Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names. (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have . Thanks everyone.

              I also use the Golden Age Name Generator (designed for Hero, it works
              for anything.)

              http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php/17032-The-Random-Golden-Age-Name-Generator

              It's helpful from time to time to give me a start, even if I don't use
              the name it helps spark ideas.

              I see Seventh Sanctum mentioned which is alright, but stuck sometimes on
              particular builds.

              Also remember a good rule of thumb is to combine two words
              together--don't try and stick with just one word--those will likely be
              taken or horrible.

              Combine two words like Electron and say Saint and get Electronsaint, or
              drop the N and have Electrosaint (which is the name of one of my COH
              characters.)

              Add Mister, Captain, Commander, Doctor or Professor in front of common
              words. You can get Professor Pulsar.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2010
                It is also worth mentioning that the Character Folio (Icons commercial character generation program) optionally generates random hero names which aren't all bad. I wouldn't get it just for the name feature of course.

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                From: kryptonian700@...
                Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:31:16 +0000
                Subject: [icons-rpg] The Name Game - The super hero eddition

                Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot. Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names. (Theres just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have . Thanks everyone.

              • Charles Rice
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2010
                  Dan, I often find a thesaurus to be my best friend here.

                  Often I happen upon a name that gives me a general power set, or a character personality, so I want to use that name, but it's a little too "on the nose" or stereotypical.

                  So I'll go find an interesting synonym for it.

                  From: kryptonian700@...
                  Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:31:16 +0000

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 5, 2010
                    I have to admit to using Seventh Sanctum for a lot of name inspiration

                    --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, Charles Rice <rpgchuck@...> wrote:

                    > Dan, I often find a thesaurus to be my best friend here.
                    >
                    > Often I happen upon a name that gives me a general power set, or a character
                    > personality, so I want to use that name, but it's a little too "on the nose"
                    > or stereotypical.
                    >
                    > So I'll go find an interesting synonym for it.
                    >
                    > On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Soylent Green <gsoylent@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > It is also worth mentioning that the Character Folio (Icons commercial
                    > > character generation program) optionally generates random hero names which
                    > > aren't all bad. I wouldn't get it just for the name feature of course.
                    > >
                    > > ------------------------------
                    > > To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: kryptonian700@...
                    > > Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:31:16 +0000
                    > > Subject: [icons-rpg] The Name Game - The super hero eddition
                    > >

                    > > Hey everyone I have a really stupid question but my imagination is shot.
                    > > Lately my choice for super hero names have been well .... horrid. I was
                    > > wondering if someone has any advice for coming up with good names. (Theres
                    > > just so many Electrons, Pulsars and Neons a campaign can have . Thanks
                    > > everyone.

                  • dan caithamer
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 5, 2010
                      Hi everyone I wanted to thank you for all your wonderful and pracitical advice. It's much appreciated. I think my problems was I doing things in reverse basing powers on a name rather than the other way around. Thanks again everyone :) :)

                      From: kryptonian700@...
                      Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:31:16 +0000