Re: [icons-rpg] Point buy question

  • Chris McGuire
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
      They shouldn't cost you any extra points to buy each level.  The only thing they should count towards is being counted as 2 powers when calculating your character's Determination.  So if you have a x2 power and another power then that would subtract 3 from the starting Determination of 6; leaving the character with 3.

      I do have a point buy question for the group as well, though.

      How do you guys interpret the statement that each power and each ability above 6 counts as a power and reduces starting Determination by 1, to a minimum of 1?

      Do you consider that to mean that no hero is allowed to have more than 5 total powers and/or abilities above 6?  In other words, once your Determination would be reduced to 1, you can't have anything else that would reduce it further?

      Or do you assume heroes can have as many powers and superhuman level abilities as they want (and can afford with points) and that starting Determination just stops being reduced once it hits 1?

      On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Keith <maxxlingo@...> wrote:

      Hi All,

      I'm new to the group, so I apologize if this has been asked before.
      When using the point buy system, how are powers with the (x2) symbol handled?

      For instance, Transmutation 4.

      Do I pay 2 points for each level, for a total cost of 8pts.
      Or do I pay 2 pts to gain it, and 1 pt for each level, for a total of 6pts?

    • JohnM
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2010
        I've always assumed the latter. Points or the appropriate table control how many powers you get, so I didn't see the need for an additional control.