Re: Unkindness

  • TomM
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010
      Yes, in ICONS, the characters stats and powers are listed as bar graphs. There is a 1-10 numbered scale at the bottom, and the further over each bar goes, the higher the rating. It was a style commonly used with superhero trading cards, and the game is trying to emulate that. Chances are, the adventure used the same style, though I haven't seen it. It should be easy for someone to go through and write the stats/powers and their numeric values for you.

      Tom

      --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

      > I just bought "Unkindness," an adventure which says it's for Hero Sixth Edition and Icons. Looks very interesting indeed, but I can't find much Icons info for it. I did have an issue with the actual Icons PDF. I'm blind, so I have to use OCR software (other software too, but the OCR is the only software that figures into this discussion) to read PDFs, and it wasn't able to recognize the stats for the villains because, apparently, they we stats were part of a graphic image and so there was no text to recognize. I'm wondering if something similar is happening with this adventure. I don't see any Icons stats. Lots of Hero System stats, though. LOL
      >
      > Has anybody else bought this adventure? Am I missing something? Is there a special section for Icons stats? In the adventure text, there's mention of material strengths given for objects the PC interact with, but it's Hero system, not Icons.
      >
      > Anyway, the adventure itself does look quite awesome. Here's the link to check it out.
      >
      > http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=81820

    • eric troup
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010
        Ah. Yup, that sounds like what's happening here.  Thanks.  Now I can let my wife know what to look for so she can describe the stats to me without actually reading the whole adventure--which there's a good chance she'll be playing in.

        On 18 Jun 2010, at 08:00, TomM wrote:

        Yes, in ICONS, the characters stats and powers are listed as bar graphs. There is a 1-10 numbered scale at the bottom, and the further over each bar goes, the higher the rating. It was a style commonly used with superhero trading cards, and the game is trying to emulate that. Chances are, the adventure used the same style, though I haven't seen it. It should be easy for someone to go through and write the stats/powers and their numeric values for you.

        Tom

        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

        > I just bought "Unkindness," an adventure which says it's for Hero Sixth Edition and Icons. Looks very interesting indeed, but I can't find much Icons info for it. I did have an issue with the actual Icons PDF. I'm blind, so I have to use OCR software (other software too, but the OCR is the only software that figures into this discussion) to read PDFs, and it wasn't able to recognize the stats for the villains because, apparently, they we stats were part of a graphic image and so there was no text to recognize. I'm wondering if something similar is happening with this adventure. I don't see any Icons stats. Lots of Hero System stats, though. LOL
        >
        > Has anybody else bought this adventure? Am I missing something? Is there a special section for Icons stats? In the adventure text, there's mention of material strengths given for objects the PC interact with, but it's Hero system, not Icons.
        >
        > Anyway, the adventure itself does look quite awesome. Here's the link to check it out.
        >
        > http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=81820

      • Fred Furtado
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010
          On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 14:14, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

          Ah. Yup, that sounds like what's happening here.  Thanks.  Now I can let my wife know what to look for so she can describe the stats to me without actually reading the whole adventure--which there's a good chance she'll be playing in.

            You might be one of the few people with access to this adventure. It seems theye were in breach of licensing contract with Adamant, because ICONS-based products could only be released from August 1st onward. As a result, Unkindness has been pulled from RPGNow.
            Tchau!
          --
          Fred Furtado
          fred.furtado@...

          "As long as you can laugh, you are not defeated"
                                      -- Jack Vance
        • Chris Tavares
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010

            Eric,

            You might want to contact Adamant. I heard on RPG.NET about another person who used a screen reader who had the same problem, and Gareth sent them a version they could use correctly with such a reader.

            -Chris

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010
              Oh, damn!  Were this hard-copy, I'd have a collector's item!!  For a game about emulating comic books, I find that somewhat ... ironic.

              fred.furtado@ gmail.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 18, 2010
                LOL That was me.  I thought about doing that here, but since Adamant didn't publish the adventure per se, I thought it might be a bit odd to ask him to do the same thing with those Icons stats.

                On 18 Jun 2010, at 14:43, Chris Tavares wrote:

                Eric,

                You might want to contact Adamant. I heard on RPG.NET about another person who used a screen reader who had the same problem, and Gareth sent them a version they could use correctly with such a reader.

                -Chris

                Ah. Yup, that sounds like what's happening here.  Thanks.  Now I can let my wife know what to look for so she can describe the stats to me without actually reading the whole adventure--which there's a good chance she'll be playing in.

                On 18 Jun 2010, at 08:00, TomM wrote:

                Yes, in ICONS, the characters stats and powers are listed as bar graphs. There is a 1-10 numbered scale at the bottom, and the further over each bar goes, the higher the rating. It was a style commonly used with superhero trading cards, and the game is trying to emulate that. Chances are, the adventure used the same style, though I haven't seen it. It should be easy for someone to go through and write the stats/powers and their numeric values for you.

                Tom

                --- In icons-rpg@yahoogrou ps.com, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

                > I just bought "Unkindness," an adventure which says it's for Hero Sixth Edition and Icons. Looks very interesting indeed, but I can't find much Icons info for it. I did have an issue with the actual Icons PDF. I'm blind, so I have to use OCR software (other software too, but the OCR is the only software that figures into this discussion) to read PDFs, and it wasn't able to recognize the stats for the villains because, apparently, they we stats were part of a graphic image and so there was no text to recognize. I'm wondering if something similar is happening with this adventure. I don't see any Icons stats. Lots of Hero System stats, though. LOL
                >
                > Has anybody else bought this adventure? Am I missing something? Is there a special section for Icons stats? In the adventure text, there's mention of material strengths given for objects the PC interact with, but it's Hero system, not Icons.
                >
                > Anyway, the adventure itself does look quite awesome. Here's the link to check it out.
                >
                > http://www.rpgnow. com/product_ info.php? products_ id=81820

              • Brandon
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 2, 2011
                  If you are Eric Troup, please keep reading. Other people, do what seems best to you...

                  Hi there! I just discovered Icons recently, as part of my quest to find a superhero game system that all of my friends could tolerate (long story). We've played one game so far, and I think I may have finally found a winner.

                  Now, for Eric:

                  I was reading the archives of this YahooGroup, and I saw you mention that you are blind. I was wondering if you might help me test something. Someone pointed out that my web-based Icons character sheets were not accessible to the visually impaired using screen readers because I use graphics for the power levels, so I spent this evening writing a script that parses a page, removes the clutter, and inserts numbers for the power levels. I was wondering if you might take a look at it and let me know if you have any suggestions, please.

                  Normal wiki version:
                  http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7

                  Accessible version:
                  http://www.westguard.org/icons_printable.php?character=Karen_7

                  Thanks!

                  --
                  Brandon Blackmoor
                  bblackmoor@...

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                      I made a few changes. This is the new version of what I hope will be the
                      accessible version of the character sheet template:

                      http://www.westguard.org/icons_accessible.php?character=Karen_7

                      And for comparison, the "fancy" version:

                      http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7

                      And just for completion's sake, the "printable" version:

                      http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=Karen_7&printable=yes

                      Kind regards,
                      Brandon Blackmoor

                      --
                      bblackmoor@...
                      2011-02-04
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 4, 2011
                        On 2/4/2011 3:11 PM, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
                        > I made a few changes. This is the new version of what I hope will be the
                        > accessible version of the character sheet template:

                        You rock! Glad to see someone doing such good things for others.
                      • eric troup
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
                          Hi. Sorry this took soooooo long; I was unexpectedly without internet for most of the week.

                          Looks good, and is very readable. I do have one suggestion. Rather than say "Level 4 Prowess," why not just write "Prowess: 4"? It would maintain consistency with characters in the Icons adventures which are written without the little graphic thingies.

                          Great work.  And thanks for doing it.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
                            On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 21:23 -0800, "eric troup" <yakkoman@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Rather than say "Level 4 Prowess," why not just write
                            > "Prowess: 4"?

                            I assumed that "Level 4 Prowess" would be easier to understand for
                            people with screen readers.

                            But I have made the change as you have suggested.

                            Kind regards,
                            Brandon Blackmoor

                            --
                            bblackmoor@...
                            2011-02-12
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 13, 2011
                              Awesome. You are a wonderful human being, and should consider having yourself cloned for the betterment of mankind.