Re: Played today with wife and kids

  • yorrick99
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 17, 2010
      Ah, I see. True enough. Well, I think that process of shaping concept to random results is actually quite a bit trickier for new role players than for seasoned ones, for all that the game itself has simple mechanics. Most veteran roleplayers have made hundreds of characters and the process of brainstorming them is pretty familiar, so the random aspect is a fun throwback.

      My kids have watched a lot of DC Animated cartoons, but not read many comics or played RPGs. My wife doesn't read comics or roleplay, so for her to participate at all and do a good job in the game was vastly more important to me than interpreting the results.

      To be honest, I don't have anyone in my family who would be particularly interested in playing a Trained Origin character, including Batman, Punisher, or so forth. And it came up twice! So I probably should have just taken the option of skipping the Origin altogether, or using the random tables to help shape some ideas and then just building a character with the simplified point-buy. It's a learning process.