Re: [icons-rpg] What's the deal with NPC heroes?

  • Tommy Brownell
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 3, 2010
      I would either A) turn them over to the players to use or B) handle them
      like the PCs, rolling dice and all...depending on whether or not the players
      want to deal with them, basically. They only thing I would not do is
      handwave their actions, because I hate when games just completely handwave
      stuff away.

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 3, 2010
        Agreed. Only time I've ever been guilty of handwaving was in a Spirit of the Century game where we had an extremely limited amount of time left to finish the adventure, no chance for a next session (It was a Christmas-themed story and we weren't due to meet back until after the holidays; what fun would that have been?), and it was a huuuuuuuge battle involving our PCs, our main villain, a bunch of his minions, a revolt of workers, a tribe of angry Yeti, and the saving or destruction of Santa's workshop. (Not as cheesy as it sounds, actually). Poor planning on my part left us with about 15 minutes to resolve this whole thing, and therefore, many of the ancillary characters got handwaved for the sake of time. Ended up having a blast though. Took a very narrativist approach to the whole thing, and in some ways, though I hate to admit it as I'm not a fan of hand-waving, I think it wound up being more successful than if we'd taken the time to roll every little piece of that pie on the table.

        Yeah, I'm leaning toward letting the players control their actions during combat, with the understanding that they're basically making my job easier, and so if I need to put words in those characters' mouths, I can.

      • Jakub
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
          --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Curt \"Cripplepotomus\" Meyer" <curtmeyer@...> wrote:

          > I actually like NPC heroes, though I like optional rules a lot more: like
          > new powers, vehicles, etc. Your characters can interact with them. They can
          > be contacts, foils, plot devices, etc, and if a character appears repeatedly
          > in an rpg line's art for example, I'd like stats and background.

          Not really. I think that in all games, but especially in supers games your friends/foils/contacts need to be personalized - that's why ICONS and the characters-as-aspects rule, and that's why i'm waiting for the nemesis creation rules in Villainomicon.
          If I don't have any influence on creation of the character of my rival or greatest enemy, it doesn't really feel like a supers game.
        • Jakub
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
            --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, eric troup <yakkoman@...> wrote:

            > Yeah, I'm leaning toward letting the players control their actions during combat, with the understanding that they're basically making my job easier, and so if I need to put words in those characters' mouths, I can.

            Savage Worlds has this as an explicit system rule - the PCs control ALL their allies, even the ones that are against them (like in Evernight, the rats are attacking the slaves, but the slavers join the combat to protect the servants), and I want to adopt this approach in ICONS, especially that the great finale of my campaign should ideally be a great epic battle in space between all the heroes and villains, rebel aliens and evil invading alien sect.
          • eric troup
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
              That's kinda where I got the idea to let the players control the GA during combat, actually.  I may have my pet peeves regarding Savage Worlds, but there's a whole lot to like about it.

              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
                Pretty much in agreement. Handing them over the the player is quite cute and with a simple system it's easy to do.

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
                  I'd love to hear how that game goes, jaerdaph -- let me know if you post an actual play report or something?

                • curtmeyer@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 4, 2010
                    That's a good point, but I still like the "flavor" of heroes. But, yes, PCs should be the focus of the game.