Re: How soon is too soon?

  • Michael Taylor
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 2, 2010
      > Which begs another question: Does "Presumed Dead" have a different expiration date than "Behind Bars"? If so, is it longer or shorter?

      There is a Marvel Superheroes article called "Nobody Lasts Forever - But Death rarely has the last word on superheroes"
      by David Edward Martin (http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AFenTA-cjM-KKzwhtwGqPg7Q16JrNTXFZ7WPBuCJKI8j5ejSKvOEN2NxerC8njbVov32mUuNaMiVG5o2pR6Huw/MSH%20Marvel%20Phile%20and%20Articles/Articles%20-%20MSH%20Campaign%20Tips.pdf).

      This deals with what happens when heroes die and is a pretty good way to deal with Villians as well.

      Again, it's not so much a matter of 'when' that will frustrate players, as how.

      If he comes back from death with 'just a scratch' it takes away alot of the suspension of disbelive.
    • eric troup
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 3, 2010
        But isn't the incompetency of the criminal justice system (although usually not stated as such in the internal consistency) a hallmark trope in the genre?  I mean, look at Batman.  How many times can those villains break out of Arkham Asylum?  And it's never the police who bring them back.  I struggle with this a bit in my own games.  My father was a cop, so it's hard for me to make them completely incompetent, but if they were really doing their jobs, there wouldn't be much need for supers except for hired muscle to take down the superbads.  It's a tricky line to walk.

        On 1 Oct 2010, at 02:37, Soylent Green wrote:

        >>I also like to give enough of a spread so that they don't think the
        >> criminal justice system is a complete joke, forcing their hand to take
        >> it upon themselves.

        And that's an excellent point.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
        From: silverlion@...
        Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 19:22:48 -0500
        Subject: Re: [icons-rpg] How soon is too soon?

        I give it enough time to build up paranoia about them coming back. That
        depends a lot on the players and the game. Usually I throw in things
        that might seem to be them, but aren't here and there. New villains, or
        events with a similar--but not identical modus operandi.

        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 3, 2010
          > That's sounds really cool. You know, there was a time I didn't care much for random tables, but I've grown to respect their chaotic power.

          Lots of GMs feel that way and I've never understood it. They have a lot of benefits:

          a) They're unpredictable. There's nothing worse that recognizing a GM's plot or NPCs from a recent movie or comic book!
          b) They're fair. You don't look like you're picking on anyone in particular.
          c) They're different. You tend to get player buy-in because you're pulling in something new.
          d) They're inspiring. The great thing is that they can give you ideas you never would have thought of.
        • Michael Taylor
          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 4, 2010
            > But isn't the incompetency of the criminal justice system (although usually not stated as such in the internal consistency) a hallmark trope in the genre? I mean, look at Batman. How many times can those villains break out of Arkham Asylum? And it's never the police who bring them back. I struggle with this a bit in my own games. My father was a cop, so it's hard for me to make them completely incompetent, but if they were really doing their jobs, there wouldn't be much need for supers except for hired muscle to take down the superbads. It's a tricky line to walk.

            I dont know any cops personally, but IMHO the incompetency of the criminal justice system is a gross understatement!

            It doesn't seem tricky at all. The justice system in the comics is a million times more capable than in the real world!

            That's why its a fantasy! ;)
          • emu2020@comcast.net

              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 5, 2010
                > In the defense of law enforcement, I'm sure that if they had a bunch of costumed heroers taking down a big percentage of the common thugs, they'd be able to perform up to comic book standards.

                I think that's why comic superheroes are so compelling.

                The idea that smart, capable individuals can make more of a difference than bureaucratic organizations can.
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 6, 2010
                  Absolutely

                  To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                  From: michaeltaylor1329@...