Re: [icons-rpg] Original vs Licenced Universe

    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
      On 9/22/2010 2:15 AM, Soylent Green wrote:
      > I my case it wasn't so much a problem. It was mot like the PCs helping out the Fantastic Four rather than the FF helping the PCs, but I can see how that might happen.

      Funny enough few people I've played with ever called the big setting
      heroes when the game was set in that universe. It never came up--DC or
      Marvel. Although it might in my current Marvel Saga game. I don't know.
      We'll see when its over I guess.

      One of the reasons I had for using Marvel this time around was the ready
      background of history--there are THOUSANDS of minor villains who aren't
      used, many who've existed and been defeated and then upgraded their
      gear, and so on. In this game a bunch of teens in one of the really
      "rough" parts of Marvel New York stumble upon a cache of old villain gear.

      Primarily because most people's common sense says "Broken goblin
      glider found in the gutter when I was scrapping some old tin, I need to
      chunk that, the Goblin is nuts, no way I want to do more than bury it
      somewhere real deep so no one finds it or thinks about.." The ordinary
      person who doesn't want to get caught up in heroism or villainy.

      You can't do that with "made up now universes" unless they have the
      rich tapestry of 40+ years of history, at least not without fudging a bit.

      Of course in this game the teens suffer: gangs, drug dealers, drive by
      shootings, hostile humanity in its numerous forms. They don't need
      powers to make teenagers lives miserable and likely short.

      However, with the gear, modified, a bit of mentoring...well we'll see
      what happens.

      In this case the mentor who found them was Batroc, yes, silly French
      villain, also generally a noble guy at heart, criminal sure, but
      honorable in his own way. Old, seeing the world that preys on children.
      He offers them a deal. He'll get someone to train them, modify the gear,
      make it work. Let them turn the table on the predators.

      So he hired Taskmaster to train them. Taskmaster thought "Batroc. Man
      your nuts, kids for a new brigade?" but the price is right. Of course.
      Except they gave away they're going to be heroes. He was all going to
      sabotage them, a little. Let them be good guys but make sure they can't
      turn on him.

      Only problem is the 13-14 year old girl who finally found foster parents
      who treat her nice, happened upon him after a normal job. He had broken
      ribs. She told him about HER broken ribs when a foster father (past)
      beat her with a cane. How the heck does even Taskmaster look at a girl
      not but an inch into puberty who says that seriously not feel something?

      They're wrecking his inevitable betrayal but its fun to see.

      In order to make this on Icon's lets do this. Let's brainstorm a few old
      villains for people use who are "gone now" whose gimmicks could be
      passed. Give enough history to give them some backstory, and their gear
      be interesting.

      What Artifacts of Evil would be lying in the Icon's verse for teens to
      find and become heroes?
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 22, 2010
        You're absolutely right. You can't really do story based on history if you have no history. Sort of reminds of the animated movie "Next Avengers".  As a story in itslef own right it's merely okay, what makes it sing is the way the legendary aspect of the classic Avengers (including the Hulk) is played.

        Though I guess you example relies on the players themselves being pretty comic literate too. Taskmaster might be a cool NPC in his own right, however the significance of geting trained by Taskmaster is something only a comicbook buff is going to get.

      • MikeM
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 25, 2010
          The last time I played in a Marvel game, one of the NPC's had a dimensional travel power.  He would monitor the dimensions, and when one needed help, we would go. Our home dimension was a homebrew however.  We fought along side the Avengers and the X-Men, the Justice League and the WildCATS.  It was a great time. We would also spend time in the universe doing our own things. It was a great time.