Help with plot

  • David Andrews
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
      Going to be running my first ICONS game on wednesday and I've been working on some plots to run. The characters are all kids (around 14 in age) and the first session's plot involves a classmate being forced to use his newly emerged powers to commit robberies. The original plan is that his family has being kidnapped and he is being forced by someone to steal equipment from high-tech labs or they'll be hurt. The equipment (a Quantum Defibrillator, MagFusion Core, Gravitic Wave Amplifier and BioEtheric Transducer) together makes for an extremely powerful weapon that can kill every living thing within 20 miles. The bad guy plans to plug the unsuspecting kid into the device and use his gravity control abilities to power the device (at the cost of the kid's life of course).

      At least, that was the original plan. I've been toying with the idea that the kid's family haven't been kidnapped. Instead, for some reason they have faked their kidnapping and tricked the kid into believing that they are in danger in order to force him to commit these super-powered crimes. The only problem is why they would do this. Any suggestions?

      ----
      Blog: http://blaster219.wordpress.com
      DeviantART: http://blaster219.deviantart.com

      "Heroes get shot, stabbed, burned, bludgeoned, poisoned, infected, disintegrated, irradiated, electrocuted, exposed to vacuum and fall from great heights. Being a hero is a tough job."
      - Alternity GMG, Chapter 6 (Damage and Injury)
    • David "Doc Blue" Wendt
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
        Maybe the family is secretly a long line of super-villains and this is the kid's initiation?  He's basically a good kid and so they feel they had to trick him into going bad....

      • emu2020@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010

          Because they can?

          It is sad, but there are parents out there who will capitalize and exploit their children's talents. We see it all the time with child athletes, academics, beauty pageants, etc. Exploitation of children doesn't even need to be about the talent, it can just be about a sick or twisted sense of familial responsibility. Consider parents who turn their children into petty thieves or use them to run or sell drugs. Though they will often claim that this is done for the sake of survival and necessity it often really stems from a crooked sense of morality or their own poor upbringing.

          Perhaps this young superhuman's parent(s) have some sort of unrealized dream that his powers can provide for. Maybe one of both of them was a former hero themselves or missed out on a chance to be one and resents the lifestyle. Perhaps they were wronged or denied a chance to make their life better by the intervention of a super-powered person.

          You take your pick. Parents don't need a lot of reason to mess up their kids' lives.

          No offense meant to all the good parents out there but I think we can all recognize those people who have no real business raising children.

          -Eli

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12, 2010
            Taking, sort of,  a page from Heroes, if the kid's superpowers are based on genetic experiments by some shadowy organisaiton/corporation/government, then maybe his family isn't his real family and looking after the kid, posing as his parents was just part of their cover in order to keep studing him.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com