Where I suddenly realise I was doing it wrong

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2010

      It suddenly occurred to I may have been making a basic mistake how I've run fights.

      With PC attacking NPC, I've been measuring the Effect of the attack to judge hits, margin of success and possible Slam or Stuns which I think is correct.

      However when NPCs attack PCs I've been measuring the Effect of the PCs Dodge (or Evade) to determine hits, margin of success and possible Stuns or Slams.

      It's a smal but important difference because how  did it meant all ties (margin of success = 0 ) went the players way, both attacking and defending.

      The thing is the "Action" is still the NPCs attack. So even if the player is the one rolling his defence (as a reaction), it's still the NPCs attack skill that is being test and as such even a margin of success of 0 is still a (Moderate Success).

      Sigh, such a small book and yet I seem to be able to confuse myself quite a bit.