Re: [icons-rpg] Crime Tables in Action!

  • eric troup
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 12 12:28 AM
      Wow ... I gotta be honest with you, until reading this example in action, I had no interest in your random tables.  (Please don't be offended by this; it's just that random tables aren't usually something that pique my interest.  Being blind, that means I have to transcribe them into Braille, which is more work than I generally care to do if I can help it.).  But after reading this message, I want to check 'em out!  Thanks for sharing.

      On 11 Sep 2010, at 15:00, Soylent Green wrote:

      I finally got to try out my Crime Tables in play. I had some concerns because you never really know if something is going to work until you try in it play. As it were, I was really pleased with the results.

      As hoped the random encounters fulfilled their primary purpose of giving the main storylines time to unfold gradually. What I did not necessarily expect is that the encounters themselves turned out to be pretty good fun in their own right.

      I’ll just use one example. In one instance I rolled:

      When: In progress

      What: Kidnapping - Celebrity

      Who: Man-beast

      Why: Misunderstanding

      And it suddenly clicked; this is basically the plot of King Kong. So I had Man-Beast swing in and kidnap a movie star at a world premiere of “King Kong 2” which resulted in heroes chasing Man-Beast and his victim across the moonlit city rooftops. As filler scenes go, it felt pretty spectacular.

      Anyway I just wanted to brag a bit.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 12 12:51 AM
        I'm not offended in the least. Even fully sighted, there are still plenty of reasons to be diffident of random tables.  Pointless filler is, well pointless. But in this instance I felt having some action sequences which aren't tied any main plot as apacing device was going to be beneficial .

        Incidentally if I converted the tabes to HTML would that make them more accessible?

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12 9:34 PM
          Actually, it might, at that ... although as long as you're converting, RTF would be even better.  Either way, thanks.

          I figure even if they don't serve as pace-helpers for me, they might be decent starting points to get the adventure-design juices flowing.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 13 12:41 AM
            Rtf is very easy, as I was going to do the HTML by hand.  I've uploaded the tables. Let me know if it works for you.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com