Crime Tables in Action!

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 11, 2010

      I finally got to try out my Crime Tables in play. I had some concerns because you never really know if something is going to work until you try in it play. As it were, I was really pleased with the results.

      As hoped the random encounters fulfilled their primary purpose of giving the main storylines time to unfold gradually. What I did not necessarily expect is that the encounters themselves turned out to be pretty good fun in their own right.

      I’ll just use one example. In one instance I rolled:

      When: In progress

      What: Kidnapping - Celebrity

      Who: Man-beast

      Why: Misunderstanding

      And it suddenly clicked; this is basically the plot of King Kong. So I had Man-Beast swing in and kidnap a movie star at a world premiere of “King Kong 2” which resulted in heroes chasing Man-Beast and his victim across the moonlit city rooftops. As filler scenes go, it felt pretty spectacular.

      Anyway I just wanted to brag a bit.

    • eric troup

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 12, 2010
          I'm not offended in the least. Even fully sighted, there are still plenty of reasons to be diffident of random tables.  Pointless filler is, well pointless. But in this instance I felt having some action sequences which aren't tied any main plot as apacing device was going to be beneficial .

          Incidentally if I converted the tabes to HTML would that make them more accessible?

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 12, 2010
            Actually, it might, at that ... although as long as you're converting, RTF would be even better.  Either way, thanks.

            I figure even if they don't serve as pace-helpers for me, they might be decent starting points to get the adventure-design juices flowing.

            To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 13, 2010
              Rtf is very easy, as I was going to do the HTML by hand.  I've uploaded the tables. Let me know if it works for you.

              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com