Re: [icons-rpg] Marvel Conversions

  • Giles Kiser
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1 5:59 PM
      Thanks guys!  It's much appreciated.

      On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Curt "Cripplepotomus" Meyer <curtmeyer@...> wrote:

      A much appreciated thanks. A friend of mine is certain that come October the new M&M3 3rd party license will "bury" ICONS, but work like this I think will keep that from happening.

    • Jakub
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2 5:35 AM
        --- In icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com, "Curt \"Cripplepotomus\" Meyer" <curtmeyer@...> wrote:

        > A much appreciated thanks. A friend of mine is certain that come October the
        > new M&M3 3rd party license will "bury" ICONS, but work like this I think
        > will keep that from happening.

        Lol wat? Seriously, ICONS and M&M have very different target groups and design philosophies. It's like saying that, say, new edition of D&D will kill Savage Worlds.
        I am not going to buy M&M3e, because i don't want to explain how every minor sub-rule works, because I don't want to create a character with a spreadsheet, and because I don't like systems where speedsters have to buy heat immunity to use their powers.
        Almost every superhero RPG I've seen so far focused on designing powers - ICONS focuses on creating heroes. (another exception is Smallville RPG, but that isn't really a supers game)

        Jakub
      • Curt "Cripplepotomus" Meyer
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 2 7:01 PM
          I just cobbled together a pdf of your SC document plus all of Rancor's DC write ups, and the ICONS action chart, and had it all printed up and bound for $12.95, including shipping, at http://www.printme1.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 2 8:31 PM
            Wow.  That's dirt cheap!

            On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Curt "Cripplepotomus" Meyer <curtmeyer@...> wrote:

            I just cobbled together a pdf of your SC document plus all of Rancor's DC write ups, and the ICONS action chart, and had it all printed up and bound for $12.95, including shipping, at http://www.printme1.com

          • Michael Taylor
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 3 6:25 AM
              > I am not going to buy M&M3e, because i don't want to explain how every minor sub-rule works, because I don't want to create a character with a spreadsheet, and because I don't like systems where speedsters have to buy heat immunity to use their powers.
              > Almost every superhero RPG I've seen so far focused on designing powers - ICONS focuses on creating heroes. (another exception is Smallville RPG, but that isn't really a supers game)

              Actually, I would reserve judgement. I felt the same way about the last versions of M&M, but this new version (if it's based on DC Adventures) is an entirely new animal.

              It's much more like Marvel Superheroes than Champions.

            • Mike Olson
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 3 9:07 AM
                Mechanically, M&M3E and DC Adventures are identical.

                --Mike

                On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:25 AM, Michael Taylor <michaeltaylor1329@...> wrote:

                > I am not going to buy M&M3e, because i don't want to explain how every minor sub-rule works, because I don't want to create a character with a spreadsheet, and because I don't like systems where speedsters have to buy heat immunity to use their powers.
                > Almost every superhero RPG I've seen so far focused on designing powers - ICONS focuses on creating heroes. (another exception is Smallville RPG, but that isn't really a supers game)

                Actually, I would reserve judgement. I felt the same way about the last versions of M&M, but this new version (if it's based on DC Adventures) is an entirely new animal.

                It's much more like Marvel Superheroes than Champions.

              • Rancor
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 9 3:00 PM
                  Posted a few more, including some in the Villains section.

                  Hope to find some more time to work on these and post them in bigger bunches!

                  Rankore2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 9 3:06 PM
                    Thanks! These are always appreciated.

                    Jsut so you know I've repurposed your template for player character sheets. Works great.

                    To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
                    From: rankore2000@...
                    Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 22:00:41 +0000
                    Subject: [icons-rpg] Marvel Conversions

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 9 3:14 PM
                      On 9/9/2010 5:06 PM, Soylent Green wrote:
                      > Thanks! These are always appreciated.
                      >
                      > Jsut so you know I've repurposed your template for player character sheets. Works great.

                      Did you share that with us?
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 9 3:22 PM
                        Rancor uploaded his templated as a Word doc last week. As standard fits four characters for A4 page. I just cleared out the right hand side of the template to make room for notes and turned the 1 A4 portrait sheet into two A5 landscape character sheets. Nothing clever there