"Shade: The Changing Man" for Icons?

  • Dan Dillon
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
      Has anyone adapted Steve Ditko's 1978 creation for DC, "Shade: the Changing Man," as a character for Icons?  And if so, might you be willing to share that here?

      I'd never heard of Steve Ditko's "Shade" until Amazon recommended to me the "Steve Ditko Omnibus" vol. 1.  While I didn't buy that book, I was intrigued enough to buy the original 8 issue run  of "Shade"on ebay.  I thought it was flawed in its execution, but I really liked the character concept for Shade, and thought he would make a great villain for the rudimentary super hero RPG that I play periodically with my 7 year-old daughter.

      You can view a copy of Shade's entry from the mid-1980s version of "Who's Who In the DC Universe" here (including an illustration by Ditko himself):

      http://michelfiffe.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/Ditko-18.jpg

      There's also a write-up for this Bronze Age version of Shade on writeups.org here, but the stats are for the DC Heroes RPG:

       http://www.writeups.org/fiche.php?id=5427

    • Fabrício César Franco
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
        Hello, Dan.

        I've done a write-up of Shade a while ago. Hope it's what you're looking for.

        Here's the link: http://eidolonicon.blogspot.com.br/2012/11/shade-changing-man.html

        There are other heroes in my blog Eidolons!, too. Please feel free to peruse.

        Fabrício Franco

      • Dan Dillon
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
          Wow, this write-up is absolutely amazing, and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much Fabrício!

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
            May I ask you what do you need it for? Is it a special themed game session?

            Curiously,

            Fabrício Franco

          • Dan Dillon
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
              Absolutely: I recently bought the original 8 issue run  of Steve Ditko's "Shade" on ebay.  While I thought it was flawed in its execution, I really liked the character concept for Shade, and thought he would make a great villain for the rudimentary super hero RPG that I play periodically with my 7 year-old daughter (based on a stripped down version the Icons rules).

              Thanks again!

              Dan

              To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
              From: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:58:29 -0300

              May I ask you what do you need it for? Is it a special themed game session?

              Curiously,

              Fabrício Franco

            • Jack Saw
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
                Super cool! But I only remember him from the comic SUICIDE SQUAD . I really liked Deadshot & Captain Boomerang. Maybe a Suicide Squad reunion?

                To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 16, 2014
                  Dan,

                  Thanks for replying. I hope your version of Shade makes a nice villain for your daughter to play against. It's nice to know that the 'new generation' are playing superhero RPGs, when the vast majority of the market still ignores the genre.

                  Cheers!

                  Fabrício Franco