How do you handle Animal Companions

  • spookyvoodoo64
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2014

      Superboy has Krypto

      Batman has Ace the Bat-Hound

      Falcon has Redwing

      Tarzan has Cheetah

      The Wonder Twins have Gleek

      Jan and Jace have Blip

      The Blue Falcon has Dynomutt

      How do you usually model that in your games? I've just been using "Animal Companion" as a aspect quality, those I suppose it could be a challenge where Dynomutt is concerned. But I was curious if there is a better/alternative way to do this?

    • Steve Kenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2014
        Although there are rules options for Sidekicks in Icons Team-Up, I prefer the notion of treating sidekicks/animal companions primarily as Qualities, which can be activated for their usual benefits. Sometimes the activation is via a Determination Point, other times it may be through a maneuver ("No not that switch! To the left...that's it, that one! Press it!")

        Naturally, the Companion/Sidekick Quality can also be activated to cause trouble, from "Oops, guess I shouldn't have touched that" to "If you ever want to see your beloved pet again...MWHAHAHAHA"
        _____
        Steve Kenson
        stevekenson@...
        www.stevekenson.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2014
          I play a character who as part of element Control Fire can summon a fire imp. Without checking I can't be sure how much of this is "by the book" but we used the rules, I think from  Great Power,  where you get 16 points to allocate between Strength, Prowess and Coordination and other powers (Blast and Flight in this case), or something like that.

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com