expand the level array by scaling down

  • wee_ree_cat
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2014

      hey guys, long time not written anything to you.

      I was thinking about my girlfriend's game of Scion (white wolf's modern mythology game). She abandoned the White Wolf mechanics long ago to switch to Icons (it's even its anagram, haha). lately she mentioned having some trouble with the power levels of our various characters. Most of us are in a 7-8 range in almost everything, and it's very annoying to her because she feels like we've almost "topped" our abilities.

      now, I vaguely remember someone mentioning a downscaling of the levels. I mean, abandoning the idea of levels 1 and 2 being subpar, and starting with the average level at 1. I can't remember who said that, nor where, not what exact mechanics he was referring to. It certainly sounds like something that would help us immensely, so if one of you know what I'm talking about or has an idea how to make it work even without finding the original post, I would be very grateful.

      -Amaury

      P.S : Soylent Green, I moved from my hometown last october and let's face it, that killed my Icons game forever. I have little hope for starting a new campaign with new players. but for what it's worth, I really want to thank you for "forcing" me to play with you all these years ago on vyew.com . I owe you the three subsequent years of intense Icons game I enjoyed with my superhero gaming group. Cheers from the bottom of my heart.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2014
        Hey Amaury,

        You are welcome for whatever part I may have had in introducing ICONS to you, though in fairness I think game pretty much sells itself. It just get's so many things right.

        A long while back I played in at game in which we all had abilities in 7+ range (ION Guard) and I agree it felt a bit flat. I don't recall a specific conversation about rescaling ICONS' ladder but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Likewise one could extend the ladder to say 15 and make the power curve from 7 to 15 a bit more gradual.  The catch with both of these option is that it makes using official resources (villain stats and such) a bit harder.

        But here's another half-baked idea, and bear in mind I'm making this up as I type. How about adding a 7.5, 8.5 and 9.5 ranks to the existing ladder. You'd use the decimal part of the rank for Tests (giving a character with 8.5 and edge over one with just 8) but round the result down when calculating Effects, things Stamina damage, Stun or Knockdown (giving a rank 9 character an edge over one with just rank 8.5).

        It's a bit fiddly and I haven't necessarily considered the overall impact of this variant but on the plus side it means you would not have to rescale the ladder.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , May 25, 2014
          Hello !

          I think this could work very well with our house rules for damage and protection. Basically values in combat are multiplied by 10 (including hit points), damage is absolute (Blast 4 does 40 damage) so that you never feel your attack lacked any punch,  and defense, however, is rolled (Shield 4 rolls 20+2d10).

          So with your idea, Blast 8.5 would do 85 damage, and Shield 8.5 would roll 45+4d10... I think that's very neat. I wonder if I could make it into increments of 0.1, or if that's too much.

          The funny thing is, I already had that idea long ago for level 9-10 for my girlfriend's game, in prevision of when we'd become Gods, so that everyone would be exactly the same level 10. It would never have occured to me to apply it as low as level 7. Thanks a lot !

          -Amaury