Stacking Effects

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2014

      I've recently starting find balance issues in ICONS where I never had them before.

      The telling difference is that with my regular group, for the past few years, we've stuck to the random character generation rules. The new group however prefers to design character with the point buy system and the difference in power levels is pretty staggering and with the flexibility of Great Power it has oly got worse.

      Real killer with the designed characters is stacking of effects. In a previous conversation I had raised the issue of insane damage a character with good Strength and the Aura power could do (enough to one-shot 3/4 of the villains in the Villainomicon). Steve suggested that one way I could deal with that kind of scenario is to treat it as per the combined attack (if the two power are within a rank of each other than add +1 to the overall damage).

      Now I'm looking at a character who has translated the classic soul stealing sword idea (as with Elric's Strombringer) into (1) Strike 6 stacking with (2) Energy Drain 6 stacking with (3) Fast Attack. That is 3 attacks for potential total of 36 Stamina damage and lots of healing as a bonus.

      So wrong. So, so wrong.

      Anyone else had issue with stacking of effects?  What other stacking effects have people thrown at you?

      I'm of thinking of maybe imposing as a guideline that only one power can be used in any one panel, but that doesn't really work for things like Flight or Shrinking so I would have refine the concept further.
    • Steve Kenson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 25, 2014
        What's called Combined Effort is the standard for various "stacking" effects in the Assembled Edition of Icons and is explicitly called out in some examples.

        That said, of course, the game still relies on the GM to monitor potentially abusive power combinations and to just say "no" to designs that can potentially disrupt the game.

        _____
        Steve Kenson
        stevekenson@...
        www.stevekenson.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 25, 2014
          Yeah, but that doesn't help when the players are smarter than the GM!

          To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com