Custom Power Tables

  • Steve Kenson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2014
      Just curious: has anyone modified the existing power generation tables in ICONS or Great Power or put together their own customized tables? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about how that worked out for you. Feel free to reply on-list or directly to me at stevekenson@....

      Thanks!
      Steve
    • Blacksteel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2014
        Hi Steve - I tweaked it a bit for my games a while back (and explained my reasoning) here:

        --
        Blacksteel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2014
          Blacksteel did far more than I did, but I played with modifying them a couple of times.

          The first time, I fiddled with the first table (Power types? I misremember) because I didn't want Mental powers. I also deleted Postcognition and Precognition from the powers list. I did not implement this in an elegant way: I just said, "If you roll these results, roll again."

          The second time was when I was figuring out how you'd do an Agents of SHIELD campaign, and in that case, I wanted to eliminate both mental powers (which have since shown up) and birthright, because they had never played with mutants. I also wanted to emphasize the trained normal type, because that's the majority of characters.

          By the end, I had two tables: you rolled your origin *and* you rolled your division. For trained humans, the division determined how many specialties you had, the areas of them, and in what the powers were. As I recall--I don't have the notes handy--I also fiddled with the number of powers based on division; science people were more likely to have sensory powers, power nullification, and endowment; covert ops or whatever they call them were likely to have defensive and offensive powers. Some of the powers weren't available as "natural" powers. I didn't like it, though.

          John McMullen (Searching for a .sig--drat, it's under the couch)

          jhmcmullen@...

          Just curious: has anyone modified the existing power generation tables in ICONS or Great Power or put together their own customized tables? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about how that worked out for you. Feel free to reply on-list or directly to me at stevekenson@....

          Thanks!
          Steve

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              icons-rpg-digest@yahoogroups.com
              icons-rpg-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Mike Olson

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 19, 2014
              Steve was one of the guests at Chupacabracon in Austin this weekend, which meant I got to play ICONS with him.  He started us off with random character generation, yielding what my friend called "The Worst Doom Patrol Team-Up Ever."  This is what I came up with:

              The Ancient Astronaut
              Origin:  Artificial

              P 5
              C 6
              S 7
              I 6
              A 6
              W 6

              Stamina 12

              Specialties:  Electronics, Computers, Mechanics

              Teleportation 8
              Life Support 4 (Breathing, Eating, Sleeping, Toxins)
              Blast 6

              Determination: 1

              Qualities:
              Catchphrase: "BEHOLD!"
              Epithet: "Out of space, out of time."
              Motivation: Understand Humanity
              Identity:  Alien Space Probe

              Challenges:
              Social:  8 foot tall alien artifact that looks like a silver kachina doll drawn by Jack Kirby
              Weakness:  Strong Magnetic Fields

              Background:  Out of time, out of space, the probe came to the planet Earth millennia ago!  Trapped in the ancient city of Mesa Verde, he remained dormant until freed by Dreamweaver.  Now, the Ancient Astronaut tries to understand this strange new world.