Go, tell it to the Spartans

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2013
      So I looked again at the Spartan armor, and suddenly thought, "Hey, Mandroids." So if your players have been through that adventure, or if it's in your campaign's backstory, here's what they mass-produce:

      Assuming your group has already played through The Skeletron Key, the US military has adopted variations on the Spartan armor to handle supervillains. The users are military personnel who are skilled in group tactics, but that specialty is associated with the user, not the battlesuit.

      These are reduced in effectiveness from the original Spartan armor simply because the military doesn't want to create a situation where a stolen battlesuit can create a significant new supervillain. (They have contracted improved versions of the armor but those have not yet been perfected yet.

      One of the improvements in this version was the addition of a targeting computer, which functions as Specialty: Weapons(Spartan Battlesuit)(Expert)

      HELOT (or Mark I)
      These are the base units. A military base might have as many as a dozen, with half or more in a state of combat readiness.

      Strength 6
      Aura 3 (electrified hull surface)
      Blast 5 (shooting, taser)
      Blast 7 (shooting, main arm-cannon, four shots)
      Damage Resistance  6
      Life Support 7 (all but eating, sleeping, and vacuum)
      Leaping 2.
      SPECIALTY: Weapons(Spartan Battlesuit)
      CHALLENGE: Remote control and remote kill-switch.
      (35 pts)

      PERIO (or Mark II)
      These "cavalry" suits are often attached to helicopters or planes and flown to the site of the problem. They are more mobile than the Helot suits, but also more lethal. While rubber bullets are available for the machine gun, the suits are not normally equipped with them.

      Strength 7
      Aura 4 (electrified hull surface),
      Blast 5 (shooting, machine gun)
      Blast 7 (shooting, main arm-cannon, 6 shots)
      Damage Resistance 6
      Life Support  7 (all but eating, sleeping, and vacuum)
      Wall-Crawling 3 (Magnetic grapples)
      SPECIALTY: Weapons(Spartan Battlesuit)
      CHALLENGE:  Remote kill-switch
      (39 pts)

      SPARTATIATE (or Mark III)
      This high end armor is only used by highly trained individuals. Note that someone in this armor can seize control of "local" helot suits; if the suits are not equipped before the mission with the control key, the Interface computer can (usually) crack the value for a local suit by making a Difficulty 8 roll. The technology is designed so that it cannot take control of a non-local suit (Difficulty 11).

      Strength 7
      Aura 6 (electrified hull surface)
      Blast 5 (shooting, machine gun)
      Blast 7 (shooting, main arm-cannon)
      Damage Resistance 7
      Interface 4
      Interface Resistance 3
      Life Support 8 (all but eating, sleeping)
      Flight 3
      SPECIALTY: Weapons(Spartan Battlesuit) (Expert)
      (52 pts)

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2013
        Coo. Filed for future use.

        To: icons-rpg@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 19, 2013
          Thank you. Now all I have to do is convince Steve to write "The Skeletron Lock" as the sequel to the first adventure and featuring the return of Skeletron, and we're all set.

          Unrelated commentary about mine own stupid ideas: I put all the first appearances in ICONS and Villainomicon into a list--I will share the list--and then I started writing summaries for the comics-that-don't-exist. And about issue five of All-Star, I suddenly went, "Hey, this is an idea that boxes people in instead of giving them freedom. So I quit. But it was a very interesting process, trying to figure out what the story arcs were (for the graphic novels of course: I'm nothing if not totally mad and consistent in my madness), what the characters were about, and what villains they could face who weren't memorable enough to be enshrined as a published character.

          AFTER MIDNIGHT
          Only this one appearance: I think of this as an anthology comic that didn't
          take off.

          After Midnight #3, Drusilla White

          ALL-AMERICAN GIRL
          This, Hangman, and ICONS Team-Up have the most memorable villains. I should
          note that this series clearly takes place after All-Star 15 (the introduction
          of the Ultra-Mind) but they must have been a pretty lackluster series of villains.

          All-American Girl #2, Warbride
          All-American Girl #4, Rex Mundi
          All-American Girl #6, Black Flame, Dirge
          All-American Girl #8, Harlequin, Columbina
          All-American Girl #16, Bombshell
          All-American Girl #30, Patriot

          ALL-STAR

          All-Star #15, Ultra-Mind
          All-Star #23, Zergo

          ASTOUNDING SCIENCE
          I imagine this is another anthology series, and Smith got picked up and used elsewhere.

          Astounding Science #4, Smith

          THE ATOMIC ROACH

          Atomic Roach #2, Sigma-9
          Atomic Roach #16, Tarpit
          Atomic Roach #41, Zero

          ASTOUNDING HEX-MEN
          So why could they last to issue 50 when Miss Tikal produces no interesting
          villains after issue 6? Do you suppose they were a spin-off from her comic?

          Astounding Hex-Men #1, Warlock
          Astounding Hex-Men #2, Count Malochio
          Astounding Hex-Men #14, Mr. Sandman
          Astounding Hex-Men #50, Yama King

          HANGMAN
          Issues 4, 17, and 18 all throw lovely ladies at him. He really gets points out
          of that Loner Challenge.

          Hangman #3, Redkap
          Hangman #4, Merry Widow
          Hangman #8, Arobas
          Hangman #17, The Fox
          Hangman #18, Copy Cat
          Hangman #19, Serpent Sphinx
          Hangman #21, Paper Tiger
          Hangman #26, Dark Rider
          Hangman #33, Recluse
          Hangman #47, X: The Unknown

          ICONS TEAM-UP
          Clearly issue 5 had the adventure. Do you suppose that Skeletron and Speedsaw
          were in the same adventure, or whether the issue had two stories?

          ICONS Team-Up #0, Dr. Zodiac
          ICONS Team-Up #1, Skeletron,  Speedsaw
          ICONS Team-Up #2, Little Augie Caesar,  Wraith
          ICONS Team-Up #3, Killer Gamemaster, The Scarecrowe
          ICONS Team-Up #5, Mister Mastermind, Monster Mastermind, Professor Hominid
          ICONS Team-Up #33, Diamond

          JOLLY ROGER COMICS

          Jolly Roger Comics #7, Corsair Queen

          THE MIGHTY SAGUARO
          Go ahead. Try to come up with the adventure that has ConfederApe and Sock Puppet.

          The Mighty Saguaro #6, ConfederApe, Sock Puppet
          The Mighty Saguaro #8, Beast Man
          The Mighty Saguaro #10, The Creeper
          The Mighty Saguaro #22, Pulsar
          The Mighty Saguaro #50, The Grudge

          MISS TIKAL

          Miss Tikal #1, Lord Kisin
          Miss Tikal #6, Rorek the Ice Elf

          SEARCHERS OF THE MULTIVERSE

          Searchers of the Multiverse #6, Tempus Khan
          Searchers of the Multiverse #9, In-Human
          Searchers of the Multiverse #31, Earworm

          SIGMA SQUAD
          I like to imagine this was the equivalent to the Justice Leage or the Avengers,
          with All-Star and Miss Tikal and Mighty Saguaro and the Whisper and the
          Atomic Roach. That Loner challenge makes it harder to imagine Hangman on the
          team.

          Sigma Squad #8, Karnifex
          Sigma Squad #13, Speed Demon
          Sigma Squad #23, Nepenthe