Modeling smoke grenades

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
      I know, in Great Power Steve describes a smoke grenade as giving -2 to visual senses, and possibly suffocation.

      I'm trying to model someone with smoke grenades (in fact, I'm updating the characters in the Wages of Sin adventure and giving the ninjas smoke grenades). The two possibilities I'm thinking of are:

      1. Dazzle, burst effect (smoke grenades). Plusses: we know how to calculate the attack rolls.

      2. Invisibility, invisibility ray extra (smoke grenades) In this case, I'm allowing the Invisibility ray extra to be the equivalent of burst: anyone in the area is effectively invisible, so everyone takes the impairment.

      Both have the same mechanical effect (-2 to Awareness), both would be subject to the same limit (that guy with super senses isn't affected, and air control can blow it all way).

      I'm inclined to Invisibility, only because smoke grenades last as long as they last in a confined space or an open area, while Dazzle actually has mechanics associated with how long it lasts, but I know it's a bit hand-wavy.

      Comments?

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
        On 12/10/2013 12:15 PM, John McMullen wrote:
[...]

        Smoke Grenades Last 1 Panel -2 Awareness. The End :D

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
          I know, that's what it says. (I even referred to it in my original post.)

           I'm not satisfied with that. :)

          But if a player in point-buy wants smoke grenades (especially smoke grenades that last three panels), how do I model it as a power? We model guns as a power: shooting 3 or shooting 4. Flash-bangs get modeled as a power.

          So why should smoke grenades, which can be common, be modeled as an effect?

          Yes, it can be GM fiat. "Smoke grenades last a panel. Get over it." The player character gets them by having the appropriate quality (maybe "Access to arms cache").

          But what if the character has created special smoke grenades that last for 2 panels? In the comics they sometimes do: Batman throws down a smoke grenade and then beats everyone up; by the time the smoke clears, he's gone. (Yes, it's more commonly used as an escape tactic, but the other shows up sometimes; I keep thinking of but am not sure of  the few stories that involved the ten-eyed man.)

          I've changed my mind since my original post: I think it's best modeled with a kind of Dazzle, burst.  In a place with lousy ventilation, GM Fiat says, "Hey, it keeps going on." In a place with great or normal ventilation, use the standard Dazzle rules but clever actions, like always, allow for the time to be shortened.