XML And ICONS

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013
      I was looking at XML for databases for something else, and I wondered about XML and ICONS.

      In some ways, XML is a nice way to describe a character. In others, it hardly matters if you don't have something that properly processes the XML.

      So: is there anything that properly processes the XML? Is the .icf format used by the ICONS Character Folio secretly XML?

      I'm more curious than anything.

    • Chris Tavares
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2013

        I just looked at a couple, it looks like an .icf file is using Java binary serialization, not XML. So no luck there.

        XML as a file format is really just a way of representing hierarchical data. You could certainly represent a character in some XML format. There are a lot of tools that will query and transform XML. One of the goals of the XSLT (Xml Stylesheet Language for Transforms) spec was to let you write an XML document that would let you transform (in our case) the XML data for a character into an HTML page for display.

        In practice, XML is just one, fairly small part of the puzzle. You still need to do a bunch of work defining the schema (layout of the XML file) and what you want to do with the data. There are generic XML tools, but they treat the XML as XML, not as an Icons character, if that makes sense.

        -Chris